Electrical Guru ,advice Please 91 Daytona 1000

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by STIFFLER, May 11, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. STIFFLER

STIFFLER Senior Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Shropshire
    #1 STIFFLER, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
    Hi Gents,
    1991 Daytona 1000. Yes this bugga is still giving me grief:). It starts reasonably quickly but on 2 cyls or 3, 4 if your very lucky:). I think it likes this furlough malarky & doesnt want to go for an MOT:mad:
    Carbs are 100% spotless. Fuel pipe is new & same bore.The 4th pot just sounds like Chitty Chitty :bomb::bomb::). Sparks at plugs but 2 of them look very weak.

Tested the coils & HTleads with multi meter. I used 200 the lowest setting i have on the meter. Then i used 200k to test HT`s & HT Lead end of the coils.
    HT/Lead 1=4.8 ohms set to 200k
    2=4.8
    3=4.7
    4=4.9
    Coils............ Gill Multi set to 200. Reads 1.2 on the spade`s...should`nt this be between 3 to 5??
    HT Lead end, shows 2.1 Multi meter set to 200k...........should`nt this be 10+

PVL. Multi set to 200. Reads 1.2 on the spade`s
    HT Lead end shows 9.5 Multi set to 200k
    Question, is this thick ham fisted old git testing them incorrectly & about to order 2 coils from Sprint Manufacturing (anybody used these guys?) for no good reason? :confused: Im as tight as a ducks so dont want to spend money on an ornament if i dont have to:).

Cheers Guy`s for taking the time to read this & hope it makes sense???:poop:

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    If the bike has been sitting around doing nowt for a while, then stick a goodly slug of Redex, or similar, in the petrol and get the engine running to pull it through the carbs. It may just be that there is shit (a technical term!) in the carbs that you can't see. That would cause poor starting and running. I know this to be true!!
    I've dealt with Sprint Manufacturing a few times with no problems, so no worries there - hopefully.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
    May be loose connections in the leads try swapping leads and plugs?

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I would suspect the coils. But then again, I ALWAYS suspect the coils. ...J.D.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    For me it's always the butler under suspicion :p:p

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Can't help with the techno-electrical stuff but can heartily recommend SPRINT MFG. - good people to deal with and very knowledgeable about early Hinckley bikes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    The trouble with modern coils is that they can crack and start to break down under load check the LT resistance and report back, if the leads are built in resistance type like then they should be reading around 10k oms and again if they are of the carbon type they are also prone to breakage if they are replaceable then try some std copper core and see if that helps.

This is all presuming that the fueling is OK as if its a combination of the two you will need to eliminate one of them first.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Even clear over here in the western I have used Sprint Mfg. Only problem is shipping cost across the pond gets pretty steep. There are times though, I cannot find what I need elsewhere. All depends on where you are located. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1