EFI problems?

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by bazz, May 22, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bazz

bazz Member

Jan 25, 2016
    durham
    hi everyone,
    sold my 32k carb model 08 speedmaster a couple of weeks ago, superb bike never caused me an ounce of bother..
    bought a 12 reg efi with 7k on the clock, last of the twin discs and to say I'm disappointed with it would be an understatement,
    cuts out and wants to cut out most of the time, hard work pulling away from standing still, have to give it loads of throttle (as opposed to my carb model) and has a horrible intermittent tapping/rattle noise from the engine, I emphasise its 'intermittent' and the oil level is fine.
    anyone know of any issues with the efi models or any diagnostic upgrades needed?

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Bazz, The first thing you need to do is download (for free!!) a program called TuneECU, it's a dedicated Triumph/KTM diagnostic program. Then buy an OBD (OnBoard Diagnostic) cable. Then you can connect your laptop to your bike's ecu to do fault-finding, remapping and loads of other stuff.

Re the cutting out, make sure your tickover speed is 1100 rpm when the engine is warmed up. ALWAYS use the start control (looks like a choke push/pull thing) it's not just for cold weather starting.

3. bazz

bazz Member

Jan 25, 2016
    durham
    thanks biglad
    to be more specific, when the bikes normal operating temp shall I adjust to 1100 and leave it that way, ie.. not shove the 'choke' back in?

4. bazz

bazz Member

Jan 25, 2016
    durham
    oh and any idea where I'd get the obd cable thanks?

5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Here is a place to buy the cable

6. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    You use the 'start's control every time you start the bike (it has 2 positions plus off, use dependant on ambient temp), then as soon as you ride off (or the bike will tick over normally) push it fully home so it is in the OFF position.

This control is literally only there to start the bike - it's not like a traditional choke where you use it to bring the engine up to operating temperature by enriching the mixture. That function is dealt with automatically by the EFi system.

7. bazz

bazz Member

Jan 25, 2016
    durham
    once again thanks biglad,
    this seems to be the problem as each time I push the start control fully home the bike idles at 950 (ish) hence the cutting out?
    I think a trip to triumph might be the best bet..
    I live in durham and the newcastle dealer is closed now so a ride to york is on the cards

8. bazz

bazz Member

Jan 25, 2016
    durham
    thanks crisper just ordered it..
    don't know what I'm gona do with it when I get it tho :)

9. bazz

bazz Member

Jan 25, 2016
    durham
    spelling mistake crispey sorry

10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    no worries Ive been called worse and its not been by mistake.

when you get your cable, or before, download the drivers from the TTP site to your laptop and install, to your homescreen or somewhere where youll find it easy to locate, before attaching the cable. When you attach the cable for the first time make sure you have wifi turned off. Then it will ask for drivers, search to where you downloaded them to and install.
    heres a link that shows tuneecu on a tiger, it'll give you an idea

11. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Bozz, once you get the cable we'll hold your hand through the process.

12. Suffolkbumpkin

Suffolkbumpkin Senior Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Ipswich
    With the bike running, just turn the start controller nob, it is stiff to turn and only needs a very small turn to achieve a higher idle setting.

Had to do it to my america otherwise it would cut out when pulling away or even coming off the throttle going down a hill. Since adjustment to an idle of 1100 rpm no issues.

13. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Following on from what SB said, you can adjust the tick-over manually but it is done using a knurled knob situated on the same side as the start control and below it.

14. Suffolkbumpkin

Suffolkbumpkin Senior Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Ipswich
    Oops good point, its not the start controller you turn, it is the nobbly dial below it.

Sorry for that, keep listening to biglad ;)

15. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Hi Bazz. Having read through all the above on your problem it makes me feel really smug that I stick to my old 07 reg Carbs model instead. It looks like the chaps above will sort you out so best of luck and I hope it works out.

16. bazz

bazz Member

Jan 25, 2016
    durham
    a BIG BIG THANKYOU for your kind help and replies,
    I've adjusted the idle as instructed and the bikes a lot better now, I've also ordered a obd cable and waiting for it to arrive.

'Sceptic Al'
    you're making me jealous, I miss my carb model so much it never caused me an ounce of bother and hopefully with the kind help of the guys on here I'll have my efi up and running just as sweet.
    once again thanks to all

• Like Like x 2
  17. bazz

bazz Member

Jan 25, 2016
    durham
    UPDATE
    recieved obd cable yesterday, my mate downloaded the map update to laptop and then onto the bike and the difference is almost unbelievable, smooth, responsive and powerful although it's taken away the popping noise from the exhausts when I throttle off which I kind of liked but can easily live without..
    thanks again everyone, off to Hardknott pass on Monday for a good ride out.

• Like Like x 1
  18. David Lawrence Jones

Jul 25, 2016
    UK