Featured East Lincolnshire Round 'n' About

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by JD_Lincs, Aug 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JD_Lincs

JD_Lincs Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Here
    #1 JD_Lincs, Aug 17, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    *** Start time changed to 14:00 +/- as required

With another 275 miles yet to put on my S-Scrambler by the 26th, I've been planning a nice, bendy route to ride to get closer to the target, whilst enjoying the experience.

Most of these are roads that I ride fairly regularly - though not all usually on the same day - and include the test route I use for demo bikes from Webbs of Lincoln.

The idea is to start from the Sportsbikeshop car park at Kirton, head to Skeggy and then a roundabout of various interesting places or nice stretches of road, stopping for a burger and/or cuppa at the BBMF (Battle of Britain Memorial Flight) at RAF Coningsby, before heading back via Billinghay and East Heckington to take the A17 to Bicker Bar roundabout, where I will head off back to my home in Wyberton. There's no guarantee there will be much to see at the BBMF, with it being a Sunday, but you never know.

I'm planning on doing this next Sunday, the 23rd August starting at about **time changed to pm so unless someone wants to come along and needs to start earlier/later, I'll be setting off at 2pm. I've no idea how far it is or how long it will take - the idea being to take it easy (45-60-ish mph) and enjoy the countryside and bendy roads. Starting with a full tank there should be no need to refuel on the trip, but there are several garages along the way, including one at Coningsby that has plenty of space. The roads can be pretty bumpy and there's a definite possibility of mud and other crud - though I've not come across any such hazards on these roads of late.

I don't have GPS - I use a printed 'waypoint' list, a map and my sensitive nose to keep me going in the right direction. It rarely fails me.
    If anyone is interested in coming along and help keeping us going in the right direction, just shout out. I'm open to route variations.

*edit - just worked out the route using Google Maps and it comes to around 95 miles. Probably around 3½ hours, then, in total.

ELincsRoundNabout2.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  2. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Enjoy your last “running in” trip JD, sounds like a fun day. :DSome pix would be good.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    I lived in Hagworthingham for a couple of years, there are some great roads and beautiful scenery around there :) - I plan on moving back to the Lincolnshire Wolds someday :)

• Like Like x 5
  4. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Even just looking at your map of a place that I've never been, this looks to be a lovely, twisty, route with some ocean views, JD. As @Dartplayer suggested, we'd love to see some photos! Have fun! :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. JD_Lincs

Aug 2, 2020
    Here
    #5 JD_Lincs, Aug 17, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Thanks guys - I'm having to amend the start time, though, to the afternoon (didn't realise Mrs had to work that morning).

I'll try and get some pics along the way.

PS - don't worry about being seen with someone who looks like Wallace - I'll be using my alternative open face headwear! :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I had been meaning to ask you about your choice of avatar photo, JD. ;):joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. JD_Lincs

Aug 2, 2020
    Here
    I bought it as a bit of a laugh and have only worn it once on the bike - got a few long looks from passing bikers, but I think if I wear it again I will wear my necktube/mask up to the goggles :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Some great roads out in Lincolnshire with fairly light traffic if you pick your time wisely. A run out to Clethropees after tea, around 140m round trip, is a run I've done many times but on the Z, not the SS. I live 10-15 mins from the Peak District but on a sunny weekend or bank holiday it's a congested nightmare. My only minor criticism of Lincs would be it's flatness but that's nit picking. Nothing beats Scotland for me though, even as far South as Dumfries and Galloway there's some routes to die for. The Dalveen Pass is one favourite that springs to mind.

• Like Like x 2