Ear Plugs

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by glassbacken, Aug 13, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. glassbacken

glassbacken Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Sorry not a pleasant subject but I get a problem with ear wax build up occasionally. I am currently deaf in one ear because of it, ear pugs make the problem worse.
    Does anyone know of any ear pugs that don’t push into the ear and maybe mould to the outer ear?

2. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Ear pugs?

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 18
  3. glassbacken

glassbacken Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Thanks for that littleade

4. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Would it be worth trying some ear buds for music that have active noise reduction, so they can sit looser in the ear but still reduce noise. Just an idea, not tried this in any way.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I understand how uncomfortable this can be. I completely lost the hearing in my left ear because of this problem. I was also getting horrible headaches and ringing that almost drove me mad for a couple of years. I found the issue was caused by problems with the tube that drains the ear. When I got that working, life became more bearable. I now have hearing in that ear again. Not great, but it works. I wish you good health. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Hi Glassbacken,
    I have a similar issue and with sensitive hearing. Few options I've tried.
    1. I've tried the custom fit guards and after going back and forth to get them adjusted I gave up as they are so uncomfortable, also they don't block out as much noise as I thought they should to bring the wind down to a reasonable level. £100 down the drain.

2. Tried the best noise cancelling wireless earbuds, apparently, sony wf-1000xm3. The noise cancelling is actually pretty good, enough that I didnt have crushing headaches after a long ride.
    Issue with those are there is no way of putting them on then your helmet, they stick out of your ear too far, so spend 10 mins trying to get them in through the visor opening. Another £180 down the drain.

3. Normal wired earbuds, now these worked pretty well, you can buy mouldable foam tips called comply. Nice and thin don't interfere when putting a helment on and can listen to music at an acceptable level. Still let quite alot of noise, I'd say less than custom fit guards and more than noise cancelling. £0 old ear buds works ok for short runs.

4. Foam ear buds the cheap ones, found if you get the multi coloured ones you can really squish them down and into a small roll before inserting. Found these to be the best at noise cancelling. With regard to wax build up, make sure you roll it tight and insert without touching the sides. Found these to be the best, though away after each ride.
    Not much of a help but my experiences, hopefully have you some time and money.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Streetgirl675

Streetgirl675 ...otherwise known as Streetgirl765

Dec 19, 2019
    Cheshire
    Not ear pugs @Octoberon - ear mugs

5474462B-266A-4E18-878E-E2CCC77B57C3.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk