E10 Petrol

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by David Cooper, Aug 25, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

E10 petrol laws aren't starting until September according to Government websites, however I went for fuel today at Asda and didn't notice it was E10 until after I'd filled up, just a heads up for all you people with old bikes, look at the pump label before you fill up.

shutterstock_1761294116.jpg

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Useful Useful x 3
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Morrison’s were all E10 round here too. Seems like they have changed early.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. David Cooper

Subscriber

It's probably caught a few people off guard, coming out earlier than we thought.

4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Filled the car up t'other day at the local Jet garage and that was E10. Apparently their super unleaded will be E5 for the time being - however long that is!

• Like Like x 2
  5. David Cooper

Subscriber

We'll all have to go electric, unless we get rid of Bojo the brainless and Princess Nutjob

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#6 Cyborgbot, Aug 26, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2021
    Oh - how about doing some DIY fractional distillation? Heat the fuel to 80 degrees and evaporate off the ethanol.

The products of this exercise would be proper fuel the way dinosaurs meant it to be and a fine base to a cocktail - just add a cherry.

Don’t do it in your kitchen, and please be sure your home buildings & contents and medical insurance is all paid up.

C73796AF-18EF-46A2-A90F-4FCE68089125.png

3E7DF824-A31C-41AE-997C-421A05EF8035.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Don't panic.
    We have E10 for years there, and motorcycles are still running, cars are still running, garage are not full of cars that failed because of ethanol.
    The main difference is that ethanol is hydrophile, so if you let ethanol staying for months in a tank, you can have a bit of white smoke at restart.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I think I see the problem in his right hando_O

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    I've noticed the same, they possibly changed the labels in advance of the fuel changing. I believe E5, E10, etc. mean up to 5%, 10%, ... ethanol, to act as a warning for vehicles where this is not suitable. So better change early than late.

I know Esso premium fuel has always had E5 on it where it has had no ethanol in this part of the country. Think I got the 'up to' meaning of the E label from Esso site where it talked about that fuel.

I recently got TuneECU for the servicing tools and noticed the standard engine mapping for my 2018 Triumph is described as E20, so guess I'm good at least until that time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Manuel C.

Manuel C. Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2019
    France
    Hi,
    when I bought my Sprint GT, I asked Triumph Support if I could use Sp 95, SP 98 or SP95-E10. The answer was : use Sp95 or SP98 only, best is SP98...
    It is certainly possible to use SP95-E10 without big troubles, but it was not the manufacturer's preconization..

11. ian650

ian650 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Telford
    The start date for E10 is 1st September 2021. I believe that the garages have only put the signage up in preparation. I'm sure we will all have a tale or two to tell after a month or so of using the " new fuel".
    Getting rid of the ethanol out of E10 (or E5) also lowers the octane rating so you may need a bit of a booster!!

• Love You Love You x 1
  12. Manuel C.

Sep 3, 2019
    France
    yep...
    still find easily SP98 here, so no pb for the moment......

13. RobBr

RobBr New Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Dereham, Norfolk
    Ah but some of us with Sprint 955is have plastic tanks which struggle with e5 and will be even worse with e10, also it affects things like rubber seals on older bikes.

14. Manuel C.

Sep 3, 2019
    France
    yep..it's a problem, should replace all parts non ethanol compatible or...replace the bike.
    F! stupid governments & "green" debils !!

15. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Apparently some are having problems with stripping non lacquered paintwork if you spill ethanol added fuel on it.

• Useful Useful x 2
  16. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Worth noting to be careful when getting fuel …

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Count me in, I have a ST 1050 year 2005 with the plastic tank, still in perfect shape despite years of Ethanol.
    Seals issue will only arm older models.
    As I stated earlier, the only issue was mine stayed months untouched before I bought it. I had to put an injector cleaner to push away all the condensation in the fuel system.

My 1984 Goldwing runs on E5, and so far no pb. I'll soon have to rebuild the carbs, and I'll have to be careful choosing the new o ring material.

18. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Despite running a 80s model with already aged seals, no problem.
    I had until recently a Fiat Panda 4X4 year 1987, and it ran on E10 without issue.

19. Manuel C.

Sep 3, 2019
    France
    An old Panda 4x4 : really cool !!! :cool:.... cars of the 80-90's have not much issues with different kinds of fuels, today sensors calibration is really a pain in the neck when the fuel quality vary a bit...
    Seals & pipes in old engines are not adapted for ethanol, but with 5-10% of ethanol, their destruction is just a bit accelerated & you can run the engine without troubles till pipes & seals expected replacement.
    Things are different with E85, with this fuel you have to buy an engine using adapted seals & pipes.
    I had a E85 Renault Laguna III till last year : no pb with any kind of fuel, BUT with E85, engine running was a bit erratic with E85 contaminated with water. It was not really often.
    With a carburettor, to use E85, you have to change the jet for a bigger one to have the same level of power.

20. Manuel C.

Sep 3, 2019
    France
    That's all I know about ethanol....:p

• Like Like x 1