E10 Fuel - What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by MattGaydon, Feb 26, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    So whose is going to be using the new E10 fuel that is going to be appearing soon?

Apparently all triumphs after 1990 are compatible so just thought it would be interest to hear your thoughts!

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    one of the reasons im thinking of getting rid of the plastic tank Sprint

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    As long as it has no adverse effects on my bike/car I’m all for it.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    What are the negatives? I've heard it goes off quick if you leave your bike (or car) untouched for an extended period, reacts badly with rubber seals and gaskets and Stinger obviously thinks it will have a detrimental effect on plastic fuel tanks, so what's the truth of it?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    There is also the fact that you will do fewer miles per gallon which kind of defeats the eco aspect.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    Added to the VAST amount of energy required to process the Ethanol. Also robbing the potential to grow food. This is a massive marketing con, purporting to save the world.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Thumbs down from me

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. MARKYMARKTHREE

MARKYMARKTHREE Senior Member

Feb 11, 2020
    SOMERSET
    I shall be avoiding it like the plague when it comes to using it in my Cortina's. I only put Esso supreme in them as that has zero E stuff in it at most petrol stations.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    See link, first google result
    https://www.carolenash.com/news/bik...ctly-is-e10-fuel-and-what-does-it-mean-for-me

Notably "Those motorcycles with fibreglass or plastic fuel tanks are particularly at risk as E10 can cause damage to fibreglass, causing it to distort. Older motorcycles may also have fuel hoses and metal components in inlet manifolds that can react with the ethanol too." It's a well known proven poblem that the plastic tanked Sprints suffer blistering, warping, swelling etcetera of the tank with E5 so it can only be worse with E10.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    Massive con, it takes more than 1.1 units of energy to produce one unit of ethanol. Due to its high affinity for water it cannot be pumped through pipelines, and has to be delivered by truck. It degrades the underground fuel storage tanks at petrol stations leadng to possible environmental damage. The production of ethanol produces a huge amount of carbon dioxide that is typically just released into the atmosphere. I'm ashamed to say that I actually did some consulting work for ethanol production plants. Eco-friendly I think not. Newr fuel injected motors seem to tolerate it, but as previously correctly stated your fuel mileage suffers. After several carburetor replacements I no longer burn it in my two-stroke or carbureted yard equipment. Greta needs to do about an hour of reality based behind the scene research, and then preach about the evils of ethanol.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    My superduke has a plastic tank, but ktm says its safe with e10. I used it a few times in Spain or France as there was no other choice. Still dont like the idea! Anyway I reckon I'll be changing to the new one with a metal tank at some point :). Sounds like ethanol has the same planet saving properties as electric cars then : unamused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    Ethanol is not allowed in aviation fuel, just saying. Bad things happen when an airplane engine quits. Electricity is awesome because it's 100% efficient, that 3% loss in transformers, that 3% loss in distribution wiring, and that 15% loss going through a battery charger, etc, is totally junk science and should be ignored by the truely "woke"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Erling

Erling Elite Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Norway
    As my bike has a steel tank, my main gripe is the very poor storing qualities. Here in Norway I have to put the bike away for almost six months during winter. Ethanol starts going gooey long before that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Thanks for the input chaps...i have to say you’ve changed my mind! Will def be avoiding it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    Do not leave any ethanol added petrol in your bike if you intend to lay it up for more than about 2 weeks. The ethanol is highly hygroscopic and a lot of water can end up in the fuel system. So the ethanol attacks plastic tanks and causes steel tanks to rust.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    Less mpg, it’s hygroscopic causing steel tanks to rust, absolutely eats fibreglass tanks, swells plastic tanks causes bubbles under the paint, affects seals in the fuel system of older bikes, it’s really bad news all round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    #17 Red Thunder, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    There is an app in the Android play store called 'Pure Gas' that gives you the location of Ethanol Free petrol/gas

I am downloading it now so not sure if it works in UK

Edit: seems to be American based

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. thc

thc New Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Sussex
    I don't think the app will be much good in the UK. Or the search for 'ethanol free' petrol. Pretty much ALL 'super unleaded' in the UK now contains up to 5% ethanol. Esso Supreme 97 RON (but only in certain parts of the country!?) is the only one 100% ethanol free now. :(

edit:

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    I ran E10 in my Trophy in Tasmania and when I got back to the UK the lining of the tank had "rotted " away, came out like shredded Sainsburys bag.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    I use Esso supreme, I’m in Derby, the pump handle has a sticker stating E5, the pump body has a sticker that says Supreme E5 so I would be surprised if this petrol is ethanol free,.

• Agree Agree x 1