E M L

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Yam9455, May 25, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Yam9455

Yam9455 New Member

May 25, 2020
    Basildon
    Hi there just got a question
    The EML light is staying on
    It's a 2012 bonnie se is it easy to
    Clear .and all I can get out of it
    Is 85mph and then it struggles.
    Does feel a bit slow .only had the bike for 2 days it handles well but a bit slow .even at my age 65 .cheers everyone from essex

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Hi and welcome in :)

If you brought it from a dealer (or trade seller) , take it back and find out why the engine management light is on and get them to resolve any issue.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Should go way past 85mph. I think mine does around 110mph but I can’t honestly remember

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Yam9455

Yam9455 New Member

May 25, 2020
    Basildon
    Checked air filter new petrol in chain tightened ok .I'm riding on the throttle stop all the time .next will change plugs . But 1st impression is that its bloody slow or I have just got to get used to a slower bike .either way I will get to the bottom of this .
    But on a long straight road full throttle in all gears and it still only 85 mph . Strange

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Vectis John

Vectis John Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2019
    Isle of Wight
    Not sure on this particular model, someone here will know, but it may be possible to interrogate the ECU for a fault code which could help you diagnose the problem.
    Good luck and welcome to the forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yam9455
    Welcome to the family. You really need to give some more info as to your bike. Like how many miles and owners has the bike been laid up, any service history at all especially with hints of repairs. Every little bit of info you have sometimes leads to an inmate thinking I know what that is. Yes get the tune ecu reset with an excellent battery if new make sure to trickle charge it before fitting. Show the inmates a picture of the bike just hit the upload a file button and send your favourite picture. My 2010 I actually put the front sprocket up by one tooth and it doesn't notice bottom end and top end it will cruise at 90 / 100 all day long. Which is another thing to look at if someone has changed the sprockets to do wheelies.
    Regards
    Joe

• Like Like x 1
  7. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Does the Bonneville ECU have a restricted (limp) mode if it detects a fault? - If so, then that might explain the poor performance, and you will need to establish the actual fault code? :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yam9455

Yam9455 New Member

May 25, 2020
    Basildon
    It's a 2012 bonnivelle se
    17000 miles
    Full service history .
    Just ordered the obd thing and
    Will download the app and go from there .just taken off the rear rack
    Bloody awful thing
    Looks a bit better now .it does feel good when you finally fix the problem .but not yet still waiting for the obdthing

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yam9455

Yam9455 New Member

May 25, 2020
    Basildon
    It's a 2012 bonnivelle se
    17000 miles
    Full service history .
    Just ordered the obd thing and
    Will download the app and go from there .just taken off the rear rack
    Bloody awful thing
    Looks a bit better now .it does feel good when you finally fix the problem .but not yet still waiting for the obd thing

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    To answer my own question...from the Bonneville SE user manual:

Capture.PNG

• Like Like x 5
  11. Yam9455

Yam9455 New Member

May 25, 2020
    Basildon
    Just like to say a big thank you
    For all your help .the EML light has now gone out .was a worry .but the hot cold thing worked .so I'm glad I joined this group .

• Like Like x 3