Durafix Ali Welding Of Quadumph Clutch Cover

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by QuadumphUK, Apr 12, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    Took clutch cover of to look check plate thickness etc while bike is being worked on. Decided to see what was behind metal plate, just sound deadening foam. Tried to bolt it back on and torqueing to right setting it chewed thread. So decided to see what difference it makes without plate and foam. My idea is to shorten mounts for plate and then button weld them with Durafix welding rods and propane gas. never done this before so should be interesting to see what happens. managed to buy another clutch housing off e-bay just in case. be a few days before get bits and pieces but looking forward to seeing if it works. Note to self ` Stop being nosey and it will cause less damage :) and yes I am aware I have too much time on my hands.

IMGP6873.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  2. Gladtobebackontwowheels

Nov 23, 2019
    Dover. UK
    Will be very interested to see how you get on with the welding rods. I keep seeing the videos but always think "yeah right!".

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    Same here but thought would give a try. I`ve got to make undertray, oil catch tank and radiator overflow so fingers crossed it works and can make these myself. This whole project is about learning to do new things. Will upload pics once have given it ago. should have all parts to do it with in next week or so

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

These are not welding rods:confused:
    They act more like a strong glue :)
    Bit like aluminium solder if you like :)
    Have used them at work on cracked engine cases to good effect :cool:
    But don’t be tempted to use it on heavily stressed parts like frames or ladders etc :(

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Never used them but they look really handy are they expensive?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    I got 10 rods 300mm long for £3.59 on e-bay. Not very long but will do what i want them to

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Got a link?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    Very true they say they solder not weld. Should be Ok to button fill the mounts inside clutch cover and make undertray. Love to be able to afford AC/DC tig welder, did a course years ago at college, but very expensive. Be nice though one day to get a set, I enjoyed the process, found it quite calming :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    This is the item number, check it works 312999425071

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Ended :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    There are plenty of other sellers on e-bay, so you should be able to get some similar price

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    Just had quick look and these are £2.99 + £1.99 postage so not much more than I paid

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    Just had a look at one of these Chinese TIG welders ac dc , also get foot pedal and all bits to use. Ordered so could see what i get. Will it work or have I purchased a expensive door stop. We shall see. Link https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233558833426
    Not here till beginning of next month so will have to wait. Time to source Argon bottle and regulator. I know stop laughing at the back but about only way can get a ACDC tig welder. Fingers crossed it works.
    Durafix rods didn`t arrive, well the package did but contents didn`t, good old Hermes :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Bloody hell! Less than 20 quid and free shipping! That’s gonna be TOP quality :joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    At least eBay will give your £20 back :joy:

16. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    Gong to be interesting to see what arrives. Martek, Spondon eat your heart out. Just got to get a pipe bender from local plumber and will set up own frame making business Quad Frames could call. I can see it now world frame making domination :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    That is a ridiculous price, does the package actually include the welder as well as the accessories? Have been looking into TIG recently and even the cheap AC/DC ones are £400. Worth a gamble I guess.

18. Gladtobebackontwowheels

Nov 23, 2019
    Dover. UK
    How the hell is that even possible?!! Even made in China that's a ludicrous price. Keep us informed, I'm intrigued.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    be interesting to see what arrives. AC/DC Tig welder for that price. Should be here bginning next month. be enough time to get money together for Argon gas bottle. Whether to get large bottle with gauges or disposable with gauges. Can`t wait to give it ago and see if it works

• Like Like x 2
  20. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Not sure just how much penetration it will achieve given the size...but as they say size isn't everything.;)

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1