Dumb Question About Bar End Mirror Removal

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by tomg, Oct 17, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tomg

tomg Member

Jul 3, 2021
    USA
    I have a 2020 Speed Triple RS with the stock bar end mirrors.
    I am going to a track day in 3 weeks and am thinking about the bike prep.
    I figured rather than start turning screws I would just ask this question.
    What is the correct way to remove the bar end mirrors?
    Thanks already.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. TheBeardedPunk

TheBeardedPunk Senior Member

Oct 7, 2021
    Belgium
    Depending on what mirrors you got, it is done rather quickly by loosening just one or two screws.
    One that is going into the handlebars and if it is there one that is clamping the mirror on the bar.
    Just loosen them up and it should slide right off

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Personally I’d leave them on unless it’s a condition of entry onto the circuit to remove them. I did a track day a few years ago and if I’d removed the mirrors I wouldn’t have been aware of the d!ckhe@d coming up fast into the corner I was just entering and he’d have had me/both of us off unless I adjusted my line. He was on a pile of shoite track bike brought in a van, I was riding to and from the circuit so couldn’t afford to crash and if I hadn’t looked in the mirror we would definitely have come into contact. If all the other riders are respectful of each other then you’ll be fine but if you get some wanna be GP star who doesn’t care if they carve you up then it gets tricky.
    Either way I hope you have a great day, you have a fabulous bike for a track day, have fun and be safe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    I've done a lot of racing and trackdays. You really should take the mirrors off. They are definitely a distraction. You need to look where you are going all the time. Don't worry about what's going on behind you. Unfortunately there often is the group dickhead, like Yorkshireman had an encounter with, but they've usually crashed by the third session and you won't see them again. If you're riding at a reasonable rate and taking predictable lines, you shouldn't have any problems.
    The mirrors come off quickly and easily. Where are you going Tomg?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tomg

tomg Member

Jul 3, 2021
    USA
    Thanks for all the good replies.
    Yes it is a requirement to remove the mirrors or tape over the mirrors.
    This will be my 10th track day so I am familiar with the process and the dickheads that can be riding like and idiot.
    I will be at Barber Motorsports in Birmingham, Alabama USA.
    As you can tell by the mirror question this will be my first track day on the STIII.
    As far as removing the mirrors so I just loosen the bolt on the bar end, remove the bar end, loosen the screw on the actual mirror and then it will slide off the bar end? Let me know if that is correct or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TheBeardedPunk

TheBeardedPunk Senior Member

Oct 7, 2021
    Belgium
    Looks correct to me

• Agree Agree x 1