Ducati problem

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Richard H, Mar 23, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    My lad has an 05 Ducati 620 Multistrada with the air cooled v twin only has 5000 miles on. He has riden it throughout this winter on short commutes to college and work.

Trouble is the oil pressure light on the dash is now flickering on all the time on low revs and sometimes at higher revs :eek: I have told him not to use it and went to check the oil level; the sight glass is so clouded up I can not see if the oil is high enough or not.

Don't think the engine has been getting up to temp before its stopped again and condensation has produced this creamy film over the sight glass. So I have decided to drop the oil and change the filter and re- fill with the correct amount of oil, measuring what oil comes out to give me a better idea if it's been running low.

Anyone got any ideas on how to clean up the sight glass without stripping off the crankcase? I am hoping the oil is just low causing the pressure warning light or just over thick because of the cold or that the filter is contaminated with this creamy gunge. It could also be the bloody Italian electrics of course as he had only just washed the bike when he reported the problem. The engine sounds sweet when running and performs fine even though it has a 33bhp restrictor .

2. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    i would say fill and and flush through a few times... and hope for the best.... thats what happens when you have a Duke....you don't expect to have trouble free motoring with a duke...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Dropped the oil today and measured how much came out: 2.25L. It should have 3.1 that that could be it. Got the sight glass on the crankcase to clear by placing a 500 w work lamp next to the sight glass and letting the heat evaporate the moisture inside.

Filter arrives tomorrow so just got to fill it up and try it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Nice..easy fix..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Success :upyeah: oil and filter changed sight glass cleared oil pressure light straight out. Slightly alarmed at the amount of crap in the oil, tiny fragments of metal:eek: but think its ok.

6. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    It's a Ducati .. There meant to self implode.....lol...

• Like Like x 2