Dual Sport Tyres For Street Twin (not Scrambler)

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Richard Fitter, Jan 29, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard Fitter

Richard Fitter New Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Calne, Wiltshire
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a dual-sport tyre for the Street Twin. I'm not after going to be doing any serious off-roading (obviously), just some gravel and trail sections linking longer tarmac routes. I see that Tony at 'Views from the Man Cave' suggests the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II, but does anyone here have any other recommendations?

2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Richard Fitter.
    Welcome to the family. Do hit the upload a file button and show the inmates a picture of the steed. Tyres no one or the other is best You start playing with tyres you end up having a bike that's unstable.
    Regards & Ride Safe
    Joe.

3. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    I realise this is a rather late reply but it may be useful to someone. I want to change the OEM (shit) tyres on my Street Twin, so I've been doing some research. Choice is limited because of the silly size 18" front tyre. I've decided the best road tyres are Continental Road Attack 3's but if you want a dual purpose tyre for occasional off-road use, then the Scorpion trail 2's (90% road/10% off-road capability) are probably the way to go.
    Avon Storm's are another possible (and approved for the ST) but after extensive reading I scrubbed them from the list.
    Not sure what Joe means when he says "You start playing with tyres you end up having a bike that's unstable". I would class the OEM tyres as pretty 'unstable', especially in the wet. I reckon a majority of bikers switch tyre makes when the time comes, especially as improved tyres and tyre technology moves on.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    I think you'll find the Pirellis are made in China

5. atrampabroad

atrampabroad Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Black Forest - Germany
    The 2019 Street Twins in Germany are Made in China Pirelli‘s though I just replaced my front with same and it was Made in Brazil. Most new owners seem to feel riding is compromised by the quality of the tyre. There is only 3 mm of tread available. I wonder whether anyone has measured tread depth on any other makes?

6. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    Have a look at Dunlop mutant, I’ve not tried them but they’re maybe what your looking for plus Dunlop have £30 cash back on at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  7. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Just checked out your suggestion. As far as I can see Dunlop do not make the Mutant tyre in the correct sizes for Street Twin wheels. Shame. Looks like it's down to the Road Attack 3's or Scorpion Trail 3's.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    what about Avon trail rider I’ve used these before and there good on the road but I don’t know about sizes.

9. atrampabroad

atrampabroad Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Black Forest - Germany
    Thanks for the tips, I‘ll do the homework.

10. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    These don't come in Street Twin sizes either. Tony on Views From the Man Cave has fitted them to his ST by using a 140/80 R17 on the rear (OEM is 150/70) and a 110/80 R18 REAR tyre on the front (OEM is 100/90). Personally I'd be wary of doing this but he says there were no issues with the non-standard sizes and the use of a rear tyre on the front, and they worked well, giving good off-road capability.

• Agree Agree x 1