Drive Chain Oiling ... There Must Be A Simple Guide!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by cliverdee, May 31, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Anyone done the maths to know how many revolutions of the back wheel on a Street Scrambler will ensure all the length of the chain has been lubricated ? ... in the old days I just used the fishplate as the guide but in these modern times I find I’m either grossly over oiling or, as my dealership said on a service, “Your chain is dry”... I once had it in to them thinking I’d got an engine oil leak but I was overoiling the chain and it was dripping down the casing. I’m thinking using the tyre valve as the visual marker will be the key to answering the problem if anyone can enlighten me ... mucho thanko in advance :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Cliverdee
    Yes I go with the dot on the link or just a small string around a link. There was a great thread about using 80/90 gear oil like I do these days and it really is the way to go. I use a toothbrush and some oil and it works great hardly any splash of or anything like that and the chain seems quite smooth. Or fit the chain oiler.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Isn’t the rivet link obvious? They usually have an indentation on the pins unlike the other links, unless it’s an endless chain from the factory? :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Assuming you’ve cleaned the chain before lubing When you get to the oily bit, stop!:p

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. cliverdee

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Thanks for replies...I can’t see an obvious link in the chain so sounds like the spot of tippex and then count the revolutions of the rear wheel to judge that the whole length of chain has been cleaned/ lubricated as a guide for future reference... thanks again all

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    85F886AE-B843-4E26-A35C-9C49C5567064.jpeg
    I can take the p@ss now mine is going back to BMW :joy:

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    End of the PCP term. I thought about keeping it but have been swayed towards a 175bhp KTM instead. :heart_eyes:
    It was totally reliable though and I enjoyed it but I’ve got a hankering for something with a bit of weather protection and touring ability.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Brixton Steve

Brixton Steve Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Devon
    2 3/4 turns of backwheel on my T120 assume scrambler going to be about same. I use wax type lube so just wiped the white wax off one link and turned wheel etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Brixton Steve

Brixton Steve Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Devon
    2 3/4 turns of backwheel on my T120 assume scrambler going to be about same. I use wax type lube so just wiped the white wax off one link and turned wheel etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Generally if you look at the chain there will be one link that has two indents the others just rivetted that's how I do mine. Or indeed a bit of tipex.
    Joe.

11. cliverdee

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Cheers yes worked out it’s 2.5 rotations of wheel by (as suggested) a splodge of tippex on a link. I use the air valve as the guide so put it to 6 o’clock and lube the chain for 2.5 rotations and stop when the valve is at 12 o’clock.. used to be easy to judge for chains with the split link

• Like Like x 1
  12. Maxb10

Maxb10 Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Lincoln
    Don't fit chain luber took my scot one off to messy oil spots everywhere and chain covered in grit the guy who owned the bike before me never cleaned the chain or guards!

• Like Like x 1
  13. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    I started out in the days of boiling non oring chains in a tin of Reynolds chain grease on the stove and have probably tried pretty much everything in the world of chain lube since.
    From classic small Italian singles to 140bhp superbikes. If you keep your mind on what you are trying to achieve, optimum performance, reducing wear and and cost and avoiding chain failure. Not necessarily in that order.
    My advice is Clean your chain with parrafin and a soft brush, dry it, I use a microfiber cloth, then apply a thin coat of EP 80/90 gear oil to the inner chain run only, with a cloth or soft brush. Oiling the outer run is a waste of time, that will instantly fling off no matter what lube you use. Oil doesn't attract crap like greases do and chain and sprockets are gears after all. For touring I use a tuturo chain oiler, it's years old and I've used it on various bikes from Morini 350 to Tuono and RSV. Oil penetrates, grease builds up where there is least friction.
    Just my pennies worth.