Drive Chain Maintenance Interval

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by BigCLM, Feb 18, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Hoping to get a few opionions (recommendations) on how often to lube a drive chain, and also how often to clean the chain. Also is it recommended to clean the chain 'every time' it is lubed?

I recently purchased a new Street Twin and am a 1st time Triumph owner. All of my past bikes were shaft drive. So chain lube/clean interval is relatively new to me.

I totally get it that a clean and well lubed chain will allow it to go many miles. The Triumph owners manual says every 200 miles which seems to be very conservative. I ride for weekend enjoyment and always ride paved roads and never in the rain. No dusty or dirty riding environments is typical for me.

Suggestions, opinions and any recommendations are much appreciated.

Thanks

2. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Thx Much

3. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Another Q:
    Do you find that some of the gear lube (even though you wipe off the excess) comes off the chain and gets deposited where you don't want it? The Triumph shop where I purchased the bike recommends and uses Motul Road lube. It goes on as a spray and costs a bit more, but when dry leaves behind a grease versus an oil. I have already lubed the chain with it once (my new bike only has 500 miles so far). I have not noticed any lube flung off the chain.

4. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Before working at a dealership I was using gear oil. I know someone who swears by cheap olive oil. Now I use WD40 chain wax from the workshop. Very little fling.

Whatever you use put it on after a ride when the chain is still warm, that way it'll penetrate further.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Shell Advance engine oil seems to be a good price there, Jez.:cool: Chain oil seems reasonable as well ..... okay, it is chainsaw oil but a bike chain will chop yer hand off if you let it!!:eek: Only had a quick look at their site so not seen much of it at all - low boredom threshold:rolleyes: - but seems wide ranging and good value.:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I've used Wurth - good stuff.
    Tried WD40 chain oil and it is very sticky and seems to get over everything else.
    Back to paintbrush and 80 /90 gear oil.
    As noted above - do it after a ride when the chain is warm and leave overnight. Wipe any excess off with a rag.
    Don't need to clean the chain every time you lube it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    If it looks like this you’re either not doing it right, enough or you’re using butter
    88A70167-18CC-47AC-A4D5-3A8A0F9C572C.jpeg

8. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Bloody hell crispey - you've been neglecting Doris! :eek::eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    All of the above

10. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Not one mention, not a sniff, not even a whisper of using a Scottoiler!
    Please do look into these as it may well be right up your street for lubing your chain.
    Cost about £100, when fitting, just forget about it, when the engine is running it will drip a couple drops of oil on the chain a minute
    Very little fling off when adjusted right and will extend the life of your chain and sprockets.
    Just keep the reservoir topped up and it will do all the rest.
    You only need to clean the chain every 1,000 miles or so with a rag, and maybe a deeper clean now n again if needed
    Scottoiler
    upload_2018-2-19_13-21-40.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I have a scottoiler and still regularly clean and lube my chain, and it does need both.I like them, only it is not 100% the answer either imho.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yup it's too easy to think you can just leave them and forget about regular maintenance, I had one on my thruxton and it was great, moved it to my tiger now so hope it works the same

• Like Like x 1
  13. DesertRat

DesertRat Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Yuscon, AZ USA
    Lots of good and varied advice. My personal opinion is it matters not as much what you use (butter clearly excluded!) but that you keep it oiled. A chain oiler (such as the Scottoiler) makes this simple but if you don't want to go that route just keep an eye on the chain and treat it well. Keep it clean when it gets dirty, oil it, and keep it in the adjustment tolerances. Do that and it will serve you well and long. BTW - I've had both chain and shaft drive and I prefer the chain, maybe because I can see what's happening there.

14. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Thx for all the advice. Really appreciate it !!

15. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    another thing to be aware of: the crud really collects behind the front sprocket cover so its always a good thing to get in there and remove it all every now and then

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Michael McDonough

Aug 13, 2020
    Windsor, CA.
    Got a new final drive (Sprokets too, of course) and have been using wax based lube. Makes for a cleaner look, and so far so good as for not stretching.

• Like Like x 1
  17. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I've used chain wax in the past but only in the summer months, including Wurth dry lube, WD40 chain wax and Chain Monkey wax.
    They work ok but are a bugger to clean off after a while.
    Still prefer SAE90 gear oil, easy to wipe off and quick to apply.

• Agree Agree x 3