Sprint GT Drive Chain Adjustment

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Mpgscott, May 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mpgscott

Mpgscott Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Inverness
    Hi Folks,

Sorry to ask this but im never happy when adjusting the chain, so wanted to ask your thoughts.

Went to clean and check the chain on the GT today and it was really slack, so after managing to work the seized adjuster off i have managed to adjust the chain. Sorry to ask but there is a tight spot where a link isnt budging, i have soaked it in WD40 but no joy. I have adjusted the chain at this tight spot to be that of the manual of between 26-38mm.

Have made a video to show, I wasn’t able to hold the ruler and film but at this tight spot it is between the values. However at the rest of the chain its pretty slack. I prefer it to be slack than tight but whats the consensus on how it looks??

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #2 Sprinter, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
    If you have a Seized link that will not free
    New chain and I wouldnt want to ride it.
    Set the chain, on centre stand, measure on side stand.I think thats right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mpgscott

Mar 1, 2018
    Inverness
    Seems that I’ve eased off the link but there is still a tight spot on the chain.

Will get a new chain on there in the next few weeks me thinks, haven’t done one before so that will be a first.

4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

And dont even join the chain.See if you can borrow one.
    All chains have a tight spot.

5. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    whatever chain you buy use a good quality tool to rivet chain together,wemoto etc sell decent chain tools at good prices unless you can borrow one as how often will you use tool.

6. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
  7. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    ive used angle grinder few times just need to be careful but works well,replaced chain on my old zrx 3 times because swinger is braced and put a nice jmc job on bike.

• Like Like x 1
  8. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
  9. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    The guy who recommended the one that I've just bought has been using his for 8 or 9 years. He's a right stickler for tool quality so I had no hesitation in buying. If it turns out to be crap then it's only £12 down the drain but I'm sure it'll be fine. And you get a selection of different sized pins.

10. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Agree, that's what I meant, buy cheap as they are all made in China.
    Unless you are in the trade how often are you going to use it!:p

11. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Couple of things.
    Don't over tighten the chain. It needs a good 40mm of slack. Sit on it and see how tight it gets!
    Also on a ST the caliper carrier was anodized. No problem, but the GT is painted and bare ally where it fits on the eccentrc. This corrodes and seizes the eccentric in place so you cannot adjust the chain. Remove it and make the hole slightly bigger (With a file is fine) and fit with plenty of grease. This will help a bit.

12. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I was given one of these from a mate who was giving up biking. I've used it 3 times now and it worked perfick every time.

13. Mpgscott

Mar 1, 2018
    Inverness
    Dont suppose anyone could take 5 mins next time they are cleaning their chain and do a small video to see what sort of levels of play they are running. I always find it difficult to gauge exactly what the 40mm of play should really look like.

Be much appreciated

14. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Can I add -; the chain has tighter and slacker points, all the way around, with the ruler in place, find the slack point, on the side stand, measure the slack, on the centre stand adjust the slack, then side stand and check. In neutral
    26mm to 38mm . Bottom middle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Always measure at the tightest spot. If the difference is excessive then time for a new chain and sprockets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Clean it in place, or buy a new link, honestly just clean it in place, if its just clean, and not repair.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mpgscott

Mar 1, 2018
    Inverness
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I had the same problem last year.I ended up getting my money back and buying an Oxford one.

19. Rocket

Rocket Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2018
    Connecticut
    For the record, It's been over twenty years since I maintained a chain...how would one lube a chain and how long {miles) does a chain generally last with regular riding....no racing?

20. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Should last 20,000 without touching it, and no lube. Regular adjustment, cleaning and lube 4 or possibly 5 times as long !

• Useful Useful x 1