Dresser Bars?

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Helmut Visor, Jan 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    So I have a few questions about the Triumph front and rear dresser bars for the Thunderstorm.

Firstly, for those that have them or have seen them fitted, do you think they would protect anything in the event of a spill or drop? In other words are they worth spending out on?

Secondly, I have the Nightstorm because I don't like chrome or cleaning ;);) but the only ones I have found so far are chrome. Does anyone know of any that are black or would I have to buy them then add the extra expense of getting them powder coated or painted?

Any thoughts or advice welcomed :cool::cool:

2. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Quite surprised that no-one has any views on this, normally people can't wait to give their opinion on this forum :p:p:joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    It seems strange that Triumph don't do black ones for the Storm,but i would have thought you could get some black aftermarket ones? i'm not usually keen on the looks of engine bars especially on a cruiser but they look quite subtle and i'm sure they would give some protection

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Not that long ago there was a thread about this very subject :)
    What it boils down to is personal choice :)
    If you like them and think they’re a good idea....get some fitted :grinning:
    If you don’t like the look of them....which I don’t :( then don’t fit them :eek:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Thanks Dougie, the only black ones I've seen aren't nearly as subtle. Got a D shape in the middle of it which I think will stick out a fair distance
    https://www.moto24.co.uk/hepco-becker-crash-bar-triumph-thunderbird-commander-storm-lt-black.html

6. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    True Dilli, and like you am not a massive fan but if everyone had said it was a mod that should be done and had saved thousands of pounds of damage then I might have considered it, especially as the Triumph ones appear to be quite subtle as Dougie said (although they would have to be blackened for me). But in the absence of any real compelling reasons, think I will just leave it :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I am in the ‘ugly’ camp :mask: (bein’ nae oil paintin’ masel’)
    ......but I have often thought the major value of the bars was to protect your legs in a side impact quite as much as to protect the bike where I suspect their value is marginal.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    ........in your opinion ;)

I don’t pretend to know!

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I have Triumph bars on the Bonneville as protection for the bike (and leg) in the event of a low speed spill or stationary drop. Not sure how effective they would be in a higher speed crash but probably better than nothing.
    I always thought that these Royal Enfield ones would wrap around your leg and trap you to the bike! (especially knowing the sh*te metal they'll be made from) :D

200024.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Recmech

Recmech New Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Pilbara Western Australia
    They're great for mounting cameras to and stop me burning me leg.
    Mine came with them fitted so why take them off. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Whenever I’ve had an off and the bike has been fitted with engine bars the bars have saved the engine from serious damage.

Think they look retro on Classic Triumphs :cool:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Interesting points, DD - I always thought it was frame sliders that presented the specific risk of "catching" in the tarmac, though, and that bars were deemed a particularly viable alternative because they didn't?

My own view is that in a serious crash your bike's probably fracked anyway. The bars offer great protection in a drop or a less major spill, though, as well as a degree of leg protection in respect of a side impact.

I certainly had bars on my Street Twin, and they were barely noticeable (albeit they were black).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Member

Nov 6, 2018
    I have had the bars and saddlebags keep the bike off me in fast and in slow crashes.

JJ

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Davvid

Davvid Member

Jun 18, 2018
    NB, Canada
    I am getting a Thunderbird today and do plan to install them too. Not today of course but maybe order them next week. I had them on some earlier bikes like the Honda.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Decided they really weren't for me :cool::cool: I like a clean bike so have already taken the screen and rear seat off and am really struggling with how to carry luggage as panniers don't do it for me either :rolleyes::rolleyes:

17. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    I best jump in here before Dilli comes along -
    GET A TRAILER :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  18. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Yep.....TRAILER :grinning:

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Davvid

Davvid Member

Jun 18, 2018
    NB, Canada
    I still could not find any to order in North America. Can anyone let me know where I can buy them in North America? I am looking at the chrome ones.
    thank you.