Dreaded Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by NBB, Sep 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. NBB

NBB Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2020
    North Yorkshire
    Went out for my first proper ride after the run in service. Got 200 miles in and the engine management light pops up (amber) with a check engine message.

No drop in performance or limp mode etc. Nothing changed at all part from cruise wouldn’t work after it came on. Limp mode never engaged.

Called triumph assist and they advised to ride home if there was no performance loss. Called the dealer today and they advised to cold start until the fan kicks in and cycle this 3 times making sure the engine was stone cold before each restart and this should cause the engine light to go out if it’s nothing to serious. This didn’t work, so now it’s got to go in tomorrow morning.

Bike is 5 weeks old with 834 miles on the clock.

Let’s see what happens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Two words ...... points, condenser! If you need a third word then try distributor.o_O
    Ah, happy days.:)
    Yes ...... I really am that old!:(
    Hope it gets fixed to your satisfaction.:grinning:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    As the bike is brand new don’t bugger around with it, let the dealer sort it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. NBB

NBB Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2020
    North Yorkshire
    That’s the plan.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. NBB

NBB Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2020
    North Yorkshire
    #5 NBB, Sep 2, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Got there for 9am this morning. They took the bike straight in and hooked up to the computer. Bike was back in 10 mins all done.
    It had thrown a random brake light switch fault. That explains zero performance loss but cruise control not working.
    Anyway, all done and nothing to serious.
    Shout out to Triumph West Yorkshire as even though they were booked up in the workshop until mid October, they still squeezed me in and got me sorted.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    Sounds familiar, I had exactly this problem with my 2019 Speed Twin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    As others have said above, with those sort of miles and esp just after a dealers service it's their problem, not yours.
    What I'll add in case anybody is looking at this thread trying to fathom an eml on an older bike is that I can read codes and clear them with a cheap (less than a tenner) code reader that connects to your phone via an app. (free with ads, two or three quid to be ad free). Bought it for the 18 year old car and was pleasantly surprised to find it work on the 18 year old bike. Worth having in the toolkit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. NBB

NBB Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2020
    North Yorkshire
    Happened again today. Luckily I was only a few miles from the dealers.
    Hooked it up to the diagnostics and exact same problem.
    Reported to a triumph HQ for next steps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    Tangent...
    Mate of mine has recently picked up a Suzi GT380 Ramair. With an ignition glitch. The solution being ditch the Boyer Bransden unit and go back to points and condensers :D
    Fag paper for timing optional

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    I've got the engine management light on my 2019 Speed Twin too. Tried the 3 cold to hot starting cycle method and that didn't resolve it, so taking it into my dealer tomorrow. Still performs as normal, so hoping its nothing drastic considering the bike is out of warranty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  11. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    If you've got a cheap OBD2 code reader laying around it may give you a clue, at least to get an error code you can look up online or ask here about.

I got a 20 quid ODB2 reader off Amazon after my car dealer charged me 60 quid to tell me that an O2 sensor was bust, which the cheapo reader could tell me. They are generally handy things to have around to know if a vehicle fault is serious or just something that you can ignore for now, (like a bust O2 sensor).

I'm assuming here the Speed Twin has the standard ODB2 connector like my Speedmaster does, otherwise there may be an adaptor needed too.

As it is I've now invested in a Bluetooth connected OBD2 reader and TuneECU app for my phone so can do my own servicing. I assume that also know about the meaning of Triumph specific error codes too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    Thx Brown Mouse. Which O
    Thx Brown Mouse. Interesting. Which Bluetooth connected OBD2 reader did you purchase? Do you have a link you can share?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    #14 brown mouse, Sep 7, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    I bought the OBDLink LX as it is the recommended one to work with TuneECU app which requires a specific chipset to work, but this is very pricey, about £70 on Amazon. If you don't want to use the TuneECU app and just want to read and reset diagnostic codes then I believe any OBD2 reader will do. Whether bluetooth devices which talk to a phone app you need to install or the self contained ones with their own display. (These seem to be around 20 quid on Amazon). Advantage of a bluetooth reader is they're smaller and I carry mine with my toolkit. :)

There are a bunch of generic error codes all vehicles support, plus manufacturer specific ones you could probably find the meaning of if required with a Google search of asking on a forum.

The specific things I get from TuneECU is for servicing: i.e.
    • Display Manifold Absolute Pressure so can balance throttle bodies
    • Reset ECU 'learning' after changes. I've also used this to fix my bike when it started running rough for no apparent reason. For some reason it seams to learn bad habits. (Happened one before as well which was fixed by dealer resetting learning).
    • Reset service interval (i.e. get rid of spanner symbol on display)
    • Drive ABS pump when changing brake fluid
    You can also use TuneECU to change engine map, but this is not something I want to play around with, don't trust software not to have bugs and brick the ECU or break engine.

I've just looked and TuneECU is no longer available on Google Play store, it was a couple of weeks ago when I installed it on my new phone. The app is just available on the developers web site, don't know the reason for that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    OBD was he in Star Wars

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    His son was OBD2. More intellectual character than his dad. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1