drag pipes on thunderbird

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by tbirdjon, Mar 23, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tbirdjon

tbirdjon New Member

Mar 23, 2016
    morth carolina usa
    on a 2010 t bird, can you install straight pipes , obmitting the converter and mufflers, without damage to the engine?

2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi tbirdjon - welcome to the forum.
    Someone will be along shortly with an answer.

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi tbirdjon, yes you can if you wish install a straight-through exhaust system - and it'll sound grrrrreat. You just need to make sure that the fuel mixture remains optimised. You'll need to re-map the bike.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tbirdjon

tbirdjon New Member

Mar 23, 2016
    morth carolina usa
    how can I do that? I am thinking of running the pipes from the stock header pipes. an add on if you will

5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    If you change the rear end of the exhaust and remove any cats, it will increase exhaust gas flow and encourage the bike to run leaner. The fuel map in the ECU will need to be modified by an expert to ensure the air/fuel mixture remains good.

If your bike was one of the 865 Bonny range I would know where to suggest straight away, but with a 2010 Thunderbird I don't know who works on them.

6. tbirdjon

tbirdjon New Member

Mar 23, 2016
    morth carolina usa
    thanks for the info. not sure now will do as don't know anyone either. may consider just straight from the cat , if that would be better for fuel mix.

7. ming12

ming12 Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Weston Super Mare
    Hi I got a Speedmaster put short pipes on then took it to my local Triumph dealer who remapped mine (2012 model). Any decent bike garage who remaps bikes will do it.

8. tbirdjon

tbirdjon New Member

Mar 23, 2016
    morth carolina usa
    thanks, will look into it

9. Bob Chambers

Bob Chambers Member

Nov 23, 2015
    USA
    Here's the first step without map change. Look into the mufflers later.
    http://jack-be-quick.com/jack-shop/jack-shop-3-2/

10. tbirdjon

tbirdjon New Member

Mar 23, 2016
    morth carolina usa
    thanks Bob. I am getting conflicting responses from some saying if I change the exhaust I will need to remap the bike. would like to use the elbows and eliminate the cat and keep the tor mufflers for now. just want to be sure I don't need to remap if I do. please advise. thanks

11. Bob Chambers

Bob Chambers Member

Nov 23, 2015
    USA
    No remap required with stock mufflers & stock or K&N air filter. That's my setup, and I'm quite happy with the results.

If you go with aftermarket or TORs, will probably require remap.

Just my 2 cents, but when you start getting into all that, mileage suffers with minimal gain in useful power. T-Birds are plenty powerful as they are.

12. tbirdjon

tbirdjon New Member

Mar 23, 2016
    morth carolina usa
    got the cat bypass coming today. will use with tor muffler, long ones. do not have stock mufflers. called local triumph dealer, 90 miles away. asked them about remap, they didn't know and were not sure if map program available for the t bird. said bring it by sometime. wow. anyway, going to put together later and try it out.

• Like Like x 2
  13. tbirdjon

tbirdjon New Member

Mar 23, 2016
    morth carolina usa
    been reading other stories about the bypass and using tor long mufflers. a few claim ecu will adjust for the new flow, not sure, also, I am assuming when I got my bike with tors on already that the dealer had remapped for the new mufflers when installed. will see

14. bricairns

bricairns New Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria
    My 2010 1600 needed re-mapping after having a balanced cat bypass pipe and straight through slash cuts fitted, this was done before I bought the bike.
    It sounds and run great but after having the bike airbrushed I now changing the exhausts to finish off the look so I've got 19" long turnout slash cuts and ordered two 45 degree 38mm Mandrel pipes so I can do away with the balanced cat bypass pipe http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/st...lbow-tube-polished-bend-choose-your-size.html which cost me a total of £22.
    The turn outs are off Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111865151540?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT can't wait to have them on and fire it up.

Have a look on this website, it's really informative and might help you decide what to do http://williamfaulkner.co.uk/wordpress/2013/07/triumph-thunderbird-cat-bypass-pipes/

15. tbirdjon

tbirdjon New Member

Mar 23, 2016
    morth carolina usa
    well, took bike out and it runs great and sounds great also. didn't notice anything unusual. will keep eye out . will try to get to triumph shop sometime to check for remap if needed.

16. tbirdjon

tbirdjon New Member

Mar 23, 2016
    morth carolina usa
    after much reading posts on the by pass and tor long mufflers, I am assuming the triumph shop remapped the bike for the tors when they installed them , prior to me purchasing the bike. is it common for the shop to remap the bike once they replace stock mufflers? my shop is no longer in operation so I cannot ask.

17. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Triumph shops tend to flash the map wether you want them to or not so I would assume they would have done.

18. tbirdjon

tbirdjon New Member

Mar 23, 2016
    morth carolina usa
    ok thanks. is there anything I should keep an eye out for until I can get to a shop to check the map?

19. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    just keep an eye on the colour of your plugs that will tell you how the bike is running

20. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Is the K&N the same as the Triumph performance air filter?