Downshifting To 1sr Gear

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Guillermo salinas, Sep 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Guillermo salinas

Guillermo salinas Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2019
    Azusa
    I often find that I struggle to shift all the way down to first gear when approaching a stop. Am I shifting poorly or do I need to do an adjustment on the clutch? I often take off in second gear.

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Check the free play at your clutch lever
    It’ll be in your owners manual :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I agree with Dilli, almost certainly clutch adjustment.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    If the revs are too high you may find it difficult to engage, 2nd to 1st is best done at low speed/low revs
    When downshifting from 4th and going through the gears to 1st in one go I also try to release the clutch a little between gears to help engage the action, otherwise the gear lever (sometimes) feels like it is floating and not engaging any gears, a little bit of clutch helps the selector change the gear.

Just a thought
    (Speed Triple 2010)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    E by gum,
    I remember, as a lad, I had a triumph that had a little foot lever on the gearbox that would take you from any gear and into neutral. Handy little thing I could do with on my Street Twin which flirts between 2nd and 1st, then back to 2nd as though there isn’t a neutral in the box.
    Ken.

6. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Providing clutch adjustment is ok it should not be a problem, also do you blip the throttle on downshifts as this helps by speeding up the lower gear to the higher gears speed aiding engagement.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Guillermo salinas

Guillermo salinas Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2019
    Azusa
    I'm going to try this thanks

8. 45Brit2017

45Brit2017 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    UK
    Who designed the Bonneville? I know that the diaphragm clutch on the Sportster was designed by the same designer as the unit on the late Norton/Triumph models.

The Bonneville /T100 transmission was/is the 955i unit - but reversed to allow the engine styling to take the required form (small triangular right side cover, clutch cover on left). Sportsters share this feature, to retain the traditional cam cover shape and right-side drive chain.

The Sportster also has a notoriously “touchy” neutral selection. It isn’t impossible, you just have to know how it works... actually I’ve been riding my 1992 Sportster lately and it’s a very similar bike in a lot of ways, to the 865 Bonneville.

Are they by the same design team?