Downshifting Past First?!?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Dominic Jones, May 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dominic Jones

Dominic Jones New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    UK
    Hello all,

This might be a stupid question, I’m new to bikes, brought a street triple 2011, not rode it yet as I’ve not passed my test.

I noticed the other day that if I shift gears while its turned off, it goes up and down all the gears just fine, and goes into neutral ok, but when its in first I can keep pressing the lever down over and over, it feels like theres more gears as it seems to clunk each time but stays in first, is this normal?

Every bike I’ve tried the lever goes solid when in first so you know when theres no more gears, or will it be different when the bikes running and under load?

Got me a bit worried but I’ve not long put a new gear actuator and linkage on so not sure if its something to do with that. Its all firm and solid though and does shift up and down just fine.....

Dom.

2. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    Hi Dominic, you need to get your test done and ride the bike instead of messing ;)
    You cant go below first gear ! there MAY be some play in the mechanism that feels like you describe. If in doubt about mods you made, you can always return to standard BUT you best try it (or let someone who rides try it ) Hope you soon get on the road !

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Dom, if your description is correct it sounds like there is something wrong.

Every bike I've ever owned or ridden works the same; going down through the gears to 1st, it should feel blocked like it can't go any further.

Are you doing this with the engine running, and are you sure you are getting into 1st?

4. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Why did you change the linkage?
    Is the set up now correct in terms of angles and lengths?
    Are you preloading in some way the selector drum claw spring? This could possibly give you a springy and not firm position past first.

5. Dominic Jones

Dominic Jones New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    UK
    Hey dudes,

I’ve currently only changed gears while its off, or on but not started, so the dash shows all the correct gears on the display when shifting, and I’ve rolled the bike a little to make sure its in gear, neutral is fine, but I’m definitely getting a positive clunk just like all the other gears, even though nothing changed going down past first, it clunks but the dash still says first and no matter how many times I do this, half a click up is still neutral, so its not actually going past first.

I took the linkage off just for cleaning behind that area, and replaced the actuator with an original triumph one that was black just for looks, kept the nuts tight on the linkage rod and marked where the actuator went so I think its all correct.....

6. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    Can you start the bike and ride up the path or something just to check. My ZX7 woudl only engage 1st gear with engine off and no way any other gears even when rocking. But it worked great when running. As mentioned rather than try it with the bike off, start it up and ride a short distance. If ir works great - no need to worry ...

7. Oz228

Oz228 Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Inverness
    It sounds like your putting it into reverse. :p

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Dominic Jones

Dominic Jones New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    UK
    o_O

9. Dominic Jones

Dominic Jones New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    UK
    I’ve got about 1m of garden to move the bike, I guess its enough just to change gear and let the clutch out until it engages, I just wanted to be sure its safe to do so as I thought it was really strange. I’ve got a garage within pushing distance if needs be.

Hopefully after engaging first gear with the bike on and releasing the clutch to the biting point, it should go back to normal.....

I’ll try it out tonight.

Thanks chaps.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    Well, what was the outcome???

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Back to normal?! It IS normal.......

The shifter is a springloaded ratchet that changes direction when you go down into first or up into top. You can tap away in the ‘wrong’ direction but are just bouncing on a spring. It changes less readily on a dead engine.

I suspect you are massively over thinking this.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Dominic Jones

Dominic Jones New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    UK
    I was just being a twat its fine.....

• Like Like x 3
  13. BiKenG

BiKenG Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Surrey
    Depending on the design of the shift mechanism, trying to change beyond first or top will either just be solid so the lever doesn’t really move, or the lever moves through normal range of travel without actually connecting to anything in the gearbox, although you might hear some mechanical noise due to the aforementioned shift mechanism. As I said, it’s just down to the shifter design.

Personally, I prefer it to not be solid which I find is impossible to distinguish from another gear being available. If the lever moves with no mechanical resistance, just a spring, that is easier to understand as no more gears to go.

I realise others may feel differently about which they prefer, but there are those 2 distinct shifter designs. Neither is wrong or right. They’re just 2 ways of designing such a mechanism.

• Like Like x 1