Don't Put Screenwash In Your Engine!!!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MrOrange, Jul 6, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Screenshot_20170706-220044.png
    Screenshot_20170706-220054.png
    5 litre of screen wash poured into oil-filler, then driven for 10 minutes. Not good for your engine!!! :dizzy::p:laughing:
    The second picture is the view of the sump removed.
    Good job we don't use screen wash in bikes!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Oil and water form an emulation, because they can't properly mix. Just like when cylinder head gasket goes, and oil and water mix to get that buttery sludge in the filler cap, but 5l of detergent is going to do a lot more!!!

3. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

As long as it wasn't run long enough to feck the bearings. Plus getting all the oil ways clean of sludge would not be easy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

@original post

Errmergherd!!! That's some mess you got there!!!

:scream:

5. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    You wouldn't believe screen wash no matter how undiluted could do that.
    Have they scrapped the engine or do they intend cleaning it ?
    It is certainly a job that I wouldn't fancy.
    Oilways, waterways, bearings, valves, chains, piping, what a mess!
    Unless it was some special engine I would scrap it.

6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Mini, in France!!!!
    What do you expect from the cheese eating surrender monkeys, too busy drinking wine and banning all new internal combustion vehicles from 2020!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Who would ever have thought we would see the " Death of the Combustion Engine"

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    #7 MickEng, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Not yet Sprinter.
    The big oil companies have seen this threat off before.
    Batteries? Hardly the most environmentally friendly type of product and not yet efficient enough to independently power a vehicle.
    Plug in stations all over the country to build/convert with power supplies already struggling through the winter months.
    I calculated not so long ago for me to drive 400 miles to Cornwall, I would need a minimum of 3 re-charges @ 2.5 hours per go plus an extra 30 miles on average de-tour to each plug in station = 24 hours to get to Cornwall.

9. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    FFS we should be very scare that people like that exist amongst us.
    Even more scary they will no doubt be breeding !
    Nursey I need a better hiding place than your carpet and at least double, maybe even triple medicines stat ! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Eat more beans....Wind power is the way forward;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

I recon all it takes is one breakthough moment for batteries and the rest will fall in to place quickly. Theres a load of investment from big money at the moment phones. tablets. laptops. drills. tools. and cars,then theres this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-40527784

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    upload_2017-7-7_10-3-35.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yes, I've heard that one before so it may well be an urban myth but I can swear that this is true. I worked at a local garage polishing cars as a summer job back in 1978 and 79.
    The guy working on the parts counter told me that a lady had called in for some oil as her car needed topping up. After 2 hours she reappeared saying that it was taking for ever to get the oil into the engine and was there a problem?. He went out to her car and asked her to show him what she meant - yes - you've probably guessed that she was trying to top up through the dip stick tube! :D:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Phaart ............

15. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    That would be interesting depending which engine it is .......
    Vanos valves full of crap and the tensioner ugh

16. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I reckon the breakthrough for electric vehicles to be effective will be to have stations dotted around the country where instead of charging the batteries you swap your discharged battery for a fresh one. Obviously that would require the manufacturers to standardise the unit so it could be swapped into any make of vehicle. Driving 40 miles then having to wait an hour to recharge ain't gonna cut it. The MD of the company I work for has a hybrid X5 and he can't get home on a full charge, and it's a 14 mile drive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

My old lady appears to disagree, not all battery driven thi.... wait a minute!!!

:scream:

• Funny Funny x 6
  18. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    I would have thought so. On the eco friendly crap that's spouted about those cars.
    We use mainly fossil fuel to generate our electricity which is then fed into a highly inefficient national grid ( which introduces more loses causing even more fuel being used to generate electricity ) but point that out to an eco warrior you get told you are talking utter ......
    So until we use something that doesn't need fossil fuels to be burned to create electricity than they arent eco friendly.
    Not even going into the production of the batteries and the habit destruction caused for mining the necessary materials to produce them or the disposal requirements to get rid of some fairly hazardous material used in the batteries.
    Eco friendly bah humbug !

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

That's right, they're moving forward with the external combustion engine now... they're strapping rockets to the roof!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    Re electric cars: a friend of mine has a Tesla. Unbelievable, mind-blowing power. He says, on long runs, he does about 150 miles before stopping for a coffee (range 200+ miles). Plugs it in, using Tesla fast charge, and 20 mins later, he's off again.

On a trip to Scotland in the car, I realised that 150 miles is about what I do before I want a stop for a stretch and a coffee - usually 20 minutes or so. So it doesn't seem too bad to me. Just Teslas being out of reach of us mere mortals is the big problem.

• Like Like x 3
  21. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Mate if mine is/was highish up in Exxon. They are not worried yet because the technology is immature. When oil companies see profit they'll pile in. It is like most of the 'eco' stuff - it only exists because of public subsidy and much virtue signalling.
    Consider this; the Tesla's cruising at 55 between SF and LA do so so they'll actually get there......not because the speed limit is an issue.
    Twenty mins is way too long for a re-charge en route. The simple truth is that electric vehicles are suited to urban use on predictable operating cycles carrying lightish loads......like a milk float. My personal suspicion is they will only take off once we go the VHS route i.e. an agreed battery standard so you can swap out battery packs like a fuel tank and the exchange cost (like a gas bottle) covers deposit, damage, life cycle as well as contents.
    Electricity is a secondary fuel - it needs generating and does not store simply or cheaply in the manner of liquid or even solid fuels. Trains, trolley buses, milkfloats and Hollywood hearses. Maybe one day, but not quite yet.......unless it is a short hop to your private jet.

• Agree Agree x 2