Don't Like The New T100

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Riggers, Jun 29, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Riggers

Riggers Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2020
    Hull
    Anyone agree with me in not liking the new T100? I bought a new T100 around a year ago and just love its 1968 Bonneville look. But, to me, the 2021 model just doesn't cut the mustard. Don't like the black wheels, the dull chrome silencers, and the new paint job isn't true to the original model. Poor do IMHO.

Riggers

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Schuey

Schuey Senior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Midlands
    Yes, I agree with you. Even the paint scheme on the tank doesn't look good as the previous year model. My salesman was commenting on the same, that my 2020 model looks much better than the 2021 model.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jschroeder

Jschroeder New Member

Feb 28, 2019
    Long Island, NY
    I agree...the older Aegean Blue over white paint scheme was gorgeous. I only opted for black because I got a great deal on my '18. I traded in my '18 recently for a 2020 Bud Ekins T120, mainly because it was a more interesting color along with all the upgrades you get from T100 -> T120.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    yes I agree its loosing the Bonney look

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Martine

Martine Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2020
    Athens Georgia
    And I thought it was just me...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Andreas V

Andreas V Member

Feb 25, 2021
    Greece
    I just took delivery of my T100 a couple of weeks ago.

I think it still looks gorgeous BUT I agree that I would definitely prefer to have the following from the previous version:
    1. Chrome pipes
    2. Brushed aluminium sprocket/clutch covers
    3. Chrome wheels instead of black
    4. The fork gaiters

What I do like more than the last version ? Well, only the dash clocks - they look more classy I think and they are a joy to look at especially during night time.

I cannot tell about the quality of the tank paint (mine is blue-white), but this year's seem quite good to me.

The above are of course only in terms of aesthetics. I cannot certainly complain for the better front brake (rear brake still seems a bit "weak" I think and it will need to be the next improvement), the improved fork and the more powerful engine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Martine

Dec 2, 2020
    Athens Georgia
    I admit I was a bit jealous of the increased HP and improved brake over my 2020; but I took solace in liking the 2020 blue/white better and remembering that even though "the next one" always has improvements, I had to pull the trigger on one eventually if I actually wanted to ride one. Did they black the wheels to address the rusting issues I've heard some say they've had? And I thought it was originally modeled on the 1959 bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Andreas V

Andreas V Member

Feb 25, 2021
    Greece
    You are right, you only have to decide on the model that is actually available when you want to buy, as the next one will always have improvements, so you might as well never actually buy one; with one probably exception.

Even before the announcement of the presentation of the 2021 updates, it was pretty obvious that the T100 would be upgraded and not only "face-lifted". I decided to wait for the new 2021 version, and all these months I was really impatient knowing that I could buy my T100 any time but still waited for the new model version. It was accordingly obvious that the Street Twin engine would be transferred to the T100 as well and that the front brake would be updated. These alone can be generally speaking important updates, so as I said I decided to wait. Did I make the right choice ? Time will tell.

Turning to your question, they blacked the rims only but not the spokes, but I would prefer that they had not done so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK
    I agree with the OP.....so glad I got my T100 just before the 2021 model appeared......or I would not have bought one....what are Triumph thinking.

I have a hunch....they want to sell more T120s and they are still available with chrome wheels and chrome exhausts.

I think the T100 was getting to popular over the much more expensive T120.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Riggers

Riggers Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2020
    Hull
    I think they modelled it on the 1968 version.....

6049860890_80cdd1195a_b.jpg

2020-Triumph-Bonneville-T100b.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Don't forget you chaps with the 1st gen T100, there's always the TEC cam swop, which will add around 10 more horses without touching bottom-end grunt. Much cheaper than chopping your bike in for the upgraded model.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Upgrades, upgrades, I'm very happy with my 2015 Newchurch, basic as it gets and that'll do for me, all day every day.
    Just my threepenorth.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Martine

Dec 2, 2020
    Athens Georgia
    Looks like there's a couple different thoughts out there and admittedly I've not tried to sort it out. The salesman at the dealership told me 1959, same as this 2021 article from Gearpatrol.com says:
    https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/motorcycles/a588930/triumph-motorcycle-models/
    "The Bonneville T100 is a modern take on the iconic 1959 Triumph T100. It beautifully incorporates a sculpted Bonneville signature fuel tank, wire-spoked wheels, authentic peashooter silencer exhaust pipes, and two-tone paint scheme with hand-painted gold coach lines."

But this 2009 article from Motorcyclemojo.com says:
    https://motorcyclemojo.com/2009/06/triumph-bonneville-rewriting-history/
    "While the Triumph brand realized its heyday during the 50’s and 60’s, the pinnacle of the Bonneville was the late 60’s and this new incarnation of the Bonneville is styled directly from the 1968 classic bearing the same name."

It doesn't really matter to me; I just enjoy the beauty of it, the great rideability of it for me, and putting my 2020 T100 next to my handsome husband's 1976 T140.
    20201206_162355.jpg

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. David Reynolds

Jun 26, 2020
    Browns Valley CA
    I don't like the changes to the 2021 either. When you black out the crankcase you lose connection to Bonnies of old, not nearly as classic or classy...if someone prefers that aesthetic they can buy a Thruxton or exercise other options of which there are many. Bonnevilles should look like Bonnevilles!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Schuey

Schuey Senior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Midlands
    Seeing these lovely pics wants to make me get out on mine in this glorious sunshine. Currently working though so will try in the evening :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    The new ones are too fat and heavy looking for my tastes. Too fat price as well. Who needs all the electronic junk that just drives up the price and takes all the fun out of riding ? ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Russell Stroup

Russell Stroup Noble Member

Nov 10, 2020
    Pittsburgh Pa
    They should give the option of chrome wheels and covers. I just think that’s the way they’re supposed to look. Maybe I’m just old school though. I get the black version and I like it. I know the chrome is a PIA to keep nice, but when it’s shining like a Diamond in a goats ass, nothing looks better IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  19. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK
    I bought my T100 brand new Sept 2020.....if I was buying one today.....I would have to buy a used one.....2021 T100 is terrible.....what are Triumph thinking.....

Or are they pushing people to the more expensive T120.....method in there madness.

20. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Triumph lost my loyalty some time back. They are marketing their products to death instead of listening to what people REALLY want. I vote with my dollars. I can pretty much write a check for anything they make. Instead, I am riding the old ones that I enjoy. No payments and a fat bank account.
    ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1