Dodgy Usb Socket

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by steve lovatt, May 19, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Last year I decided to fit an auxiliary USB socket to the Bonneville so that I could keep the phone charged when using google maps.

The official Triumph one fits under the tank on a small bracket but was quite pricey (no surprise there). I sourced a cheaper one and fitted it but it's not the best location in my view and it's a constant live feed, which I didn't want.

I then sourced a waterproof one and wired to the horn via the traditional piggy-back connector. So far so good, except for the other day when my horn and indicators stopped working.

Traced the culprit back to the usb socket, which I wasn't even using. It's now in the bin and good riddance! :mad:

20200516_143921.jpg 20200516_143930.jpg

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. alfie

alfie Getting older but still going for it
    Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    When I bought my Street Twin I had the dealer fit the auxiliary socket and have now bought the Optimate Twin USB plug-in that fits nicely. Not the cheapest but works well.

https://www.optimate.co.uk/products/o105-dual-usb-charger

Alfie

3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I use the sae plug for my optimate with a usb convertor, sits just under the side of the seat, its live all the time but then I only have stuff plugged into it when I'm on the bike
    s-l640.jpg
    probably cheaper than the triumph one, more expensive than your chinese one but hey! Its still working after 3 years

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I'm not bothering with one now as I'm using the Beeline Moto as the satnav on the Bonnie. The phone still uses the app, but it runs in the background whilst the phone is in your pocket with no display needed to drain the battery.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    I've got this one (as above), but must admit I've not used it yet. So easy and convenient to carry on the bike in case its needed.

They do a more powerful long lead version also:
    Capture.PNG

• Like Like x 1