Dodgy Switch??

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Dawsy, Sep 26, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Got my 2014 Speedy back from rear subframe respray yesterday. This was a good thing.
    First Ride out, loving it, stopped to take some photos after about 5 miles then bike would not restart. This is a bad thing.
    Dealer I bought it from is about 100 miles away so after informing them I rang a local shop to come and collect it.
    Switch on and everything goes through the starting sequence but nothing happens when start button is pressed. Checked fuses, had stand up and down, kill switch on and off-nothing.
    Local dealer found a block of spiders web in switch housing, removed this and bike started. They tried it again today but no joy until kill switch was flicked a few times and things jer jer jiggled about then it worked.
    Is there a Triumph issue with switchgear?
    Sorry for long post!

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Not really, sounds like you just need to make sure all the contacts/switches are clean and tight where appropriate.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    In your position I would take the switch apart and wet n dry the contact with 600> grade or smoother and maintenance oil if you can

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Cheers all. Exactly what my local dealer has done and appears to be working fine.:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    On delivery I was advised by my dealer not to use the run switch when switching the bike off but rather the ignition with key and to leave the run switch in the on position. His words - they are prone to niggles and could possibly create a problem. It sounded as if he had come across a similar problem in the past. I've never had a problem though on the odd occasion where I have used it. Mine's a 2015. I will see him on Sunday for the distinguished gentleman's ride and ask him about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Cheers Angus, never heard that before. I don't usually touch the kill switch but with it being in the shop recently there is no telling what they have flicked n clicked!

7. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I’ve read somewhere, maybe in the handbook, that the kill switch should not be used to stop the engine, something about systems not closing down correctly? Could be bo!!ox but I always use the ignition switch. Once when I did stop using the kill switch the bike started, but took its time cranking as though the battery voltage was too low and that’s not good news for the starter clutch. o_O

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I think you will find the reasoning behind not using the Kill switch to shut the bike down is that it doesn't switch everything off, therefore there is the chance you could leave it in the garage " switched off " at the kill switch and flatten the battery.

Whereas if you switch off at the key switch " All " systems are switched off, except for clocks and a feed for the ecu.

• Like Like x 3