Dodgy Rear Shocks

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Bodger, Aug 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bodger

Bodger Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Solihull, West Midlands
    Shit a brick!!
    I've been perusing the Internet
    trying to find out how to adjust
    the Tec adjustable rear shocks
    and came across a couple of
    Instances where the rear shock
    has broken and collapsed . I'm
    going to the Isle of Man in a couple
    of weeks this is the last thing I
    needed to hear. Have any members
    heard anything on this subject?
    Would I be better off fitting the
    original shocks and not taking any
    chances?? Any input gratefully
    excepted.:worried::scream::skull:

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yup we had a member who's shock broke, but loads of others rate them highly, if you're worried put your originals on for peace of mind, nothing worse than a niggle at the back of your mind!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Bodger

Bodger Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Solihull, West Midlands
    Thanks Crispey. Do you know if it
    Was on a thruxton because when
    the shocks arrived i had to add
    on a extension piece that comes
    With the kit to make them longer
    to fit a Thruxton. Looking at the
    Photo I saw the break in the shock
    was around the area of the extension.

4. Bodger

Bodger Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Solihull, West Midlands
    Cheers half ton
    Yes I will probably do that.

5. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    If you're not going for a couple of weeks, and you've got the funds, buy some new Hagons or YSS and fit them.
    (OEM shocks are too hard but better than running the risk of failure with the TEC ones)
    My Hagons were delivered within two days.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bodger

Bodger Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Solihull, West Midlands
    Good thinking MickEng

7. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I've seen anti TEC shocks on a few posts recently and have not responded until now, but I really do feel the time has come to say a few words based on my own experience of using two different sets of TEC shocks.

The bike in question was a 2010 T100 Bonneville :

1 The first set of TEC's were approx £60 the pair, basic with only pre-load adjustment. 100% reliable with no negative issues whatsoever; big improvement over the std. Triumph rear shocks.

2. The second pair, gas shocks with adjustable damping (£90) were purchased as soon as they came out after such good results with the first pair above. They came with 2 sets of springs with different weights. They also come with the 'infamous' length extender. It should be borne in mind that this extender does not need to be used for std. or SE as they have a different ride height to T100, Scrambler and Thruxton versions of the carb & EFi models. I used the extender as I wanted to raise the rear end a little.

Initially I had an issue with springs that were fitted as standard as I am of the 'larger framed variety' of human, particularly when loaded with touring gear. I mentioned this to the supplier who suggested trying the other set of springs (supplied free of charge). The change-over was very straightforward and did improve matters considerably.

I never had a breakages with these shocks or any signs that there was any imminent fault.

I did approx 5000mls on the first set and approx 15,000mls on the second set.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    I've had a pair of TEC alloy gas shocks on a Honda for about 3 years now with no issues at all. They replaced a pair of Hagons that came on the bike which had rusted everywhere. Body, springs, stems. Not nice. I use the extension pieces and I weigh 20 stone. So I'd recommend the TECs.

9. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Ah that'll have been my bike!! My rhs TEC shock dropped apart at the bottom whilst still riding. Luckily I was coming back from a ride and near home. The spring was just about to jump ship as the damping rod disassembled!!

10. Bodger

Bodger Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Solihull, West Midlands
    Do you know the reason or think you know, why your shock
    Gave up Tigcraft?

11. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Did the bottom part snap off at the threads Eric.

12. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    No just unscrewed itself, nothing actually broken just lost.

13. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    It had a hidden big nut under the bump stop that wasn't seen and also wasn't tight in the body assembly.

The service from TEC was impressively good and he was concerned genuinely and sent another shock next day so it's 100% for the good service. I've got to say I'd buy confidently from him but just not cheap shocks.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bodger

Bodger Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Solihull, West Midlands
    Well that's made me feel a lot better
    now I know nothing actually broke.
    But I still don't know how to adjust them. Between the top of the shock
    and the top of the spring are 2 collars that turn independently of each other one compresses the spring and I presume they lock against each other but there's only one C spanner supplied in the kit.

15. Bodger

Bodger Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Solihull, West Midlands
    Thanks Dozens Dad

16. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I've said my piece in other threads, but briefly, I sent back the gas shocks I bought from Tec for my St. Twin as too flimsy. I have nothing but praise for the Ikons on my SE. I have other parts from Tec on both bikes which I am well pleased with, just not the rear shocks. YSS make shocks for well known brands including Ohlins, which they are then licensed to make under the YSS brand after a period of time has elapsed. So with YSS you are often paying less for a brand name equivalent.

• Useful Useful x 2