Do open face helmets always rise up in use?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Luegolover, Aug 14, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Luegolover

Luegolover Member

Apr 5, 2016
    London
    I am on the verge of ordering a Thruxton R and am starting to think about stuff to go with it. I am troubled by the helmet choice. I currently have a scooter and use a Momo fighter open face with it which I love. It has a dark visor hidden in the helmet which is really useful and is comfy. However, when I test rode a Thruxton the helmet kept rising up every time I got any speed up to the point where it felt like it might actually get pulled off. I have a couple of full face helmets but would prefer to have an open face for general riding. I could buy a regular classic open face helmet but I am not the Bank of England so I don't want to be spending £2-300 only to find that it does the same. so my question is:

Do open face helmets all ride up when speeds get up to 60-70 MPH+

2. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    I find they do on unfaired bikes,my sprint 900 has a top fairing and is a bit better but not much. my helmet is not a £200+ one tho.
    had an everoak open face in the 70s and that lifted too

3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I find my ever oak lifting but never too sure if it's due to me tilting my head back slightly. When I tilt it forward again it seems fine but then gradually tilts back again, try with your head tilted down slightly when you reach those higher speeds.

4. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    No problem with my LS2 open face fitted with a peak and goggles on my 08 thruxton. Bought mine from fat skeleton for £89 plus goggles at £40 which fit over my glasses.

• Like Like x 1
  5. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Thought about a flip front?
    Best of both worlds, but do get a decent one, the crap cheapo I bought first was better off as a flower pot, but my AGV is brilliant!
    Mine also has a flip down sun visor, which I didn't like at first but now use quite a lot.

6. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    A peak on the helmet will keep it down, how about fitting a bubble visor?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Only if it don't fit properly or your breaking the speed limits .which I'm sure you don't. ........;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Eccleshall, Staffs
    Wear a Davida on the Thruxton no problem.

Teejay

• Like Like x 2
  9. waffoo

waffoo Member

May 19, 2016
    Gloucester, UK
    +1 for Davida - no probs even at 3 figure speeds (private roads only, officer )

• Like Like x 1
  10. I have a Davida also, no problems of lifting whatsoever

11. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    [​IMG]
    A Shark Evoline 3 is a decent compromise when you want an open helmet. The chinbar is not obvious when in the up position, and they can be picked up on ebay. Though the normal price is over £200, I got mine NOS in plain white for £130.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    It will depend on the quality and fit of the helmet.
    I have an AGV open face helmet, which is fine for urban riding but I really regretted riding to Germany with it! No protection in the wet and it did ride up at motorway speeds, plus the goggles became uncomfortable after several hours riding.
    I like the look and feel of an open face but I only wear mine for the DGR and round the lanes pottering - I'm with half ton on this - I'd rather keep the lower half of my face (ugly though it is) in the event of an off. o_O
    On my second flip front - a Schuberth C3 Pro. Can't fault it and it is certified to be ridden with the front up. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    The Shoei Neotec 2 is certified legal in the up position but it’s not probably the look you want

14. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    My mistake - that was the Shoei I was going to buy, but the Schuberth fitted better.
    To be honest you wouldn't want to ride at speed with the bar up anyway as it's not exactly aerodynamic! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    To my mind the answer is ' yes'.
    If the padding under the forehead is thick as it is these days the wind catches it and pulls it up
    I had a Biltwell which didn't...but inside it said ' novelty helmet....do not use as a safety aid'.
    I think it was made from papier mache.
    I have a newish Biltwell open face now....it's padded thickly but better than some others.

16. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    Fitting a small flyscreen to the bike may help. Back in the '80s when i rode a CB550 i fitted an old helmet visor the headlamp and it took buffering away. I was tight fisted in those days and the cheapest mods were the best. This is the best one. With the old-style engine crash bars, i cable tied a home for sale corrugated plastic board to each side. Trimmed and moulded to fit. They lasted for a year of despatch riding and in the cold weather directed the engine to my legs. After about 6 months i noticed other despatch riders were doing the same.

17. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    My Caberg is cleared for riding flipped up, it also has the “P” and “J” designation.
    Ken.
    PS. My Caberg open face sees the clear visor pressed against my face when speeds get higher.

18. elevensies

elevensies Noble Member

Jun 11, 2019
    lincolnshire
    personally, id say no matter what open face you buy, it will lift, design depends upon how much it lifts.
    whatever you get, just expect it to be different to a full face.

and my missis has a davida, and hers lifts, just thought id mention. It could be head shape/ chin and cheek mostly, if you wear a face scarf/ tube, how tight you like the chin strap.

i occasionally use my bell moto 3 and the difference with visor on / off is night and day, its actually a pleasure when its off.

just expect it to and you wont go wrong

• Like Like x 1
  19. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Both my partner and me use open face helmets on our old Brit bikes and have done for years, they are old cheap helmets from years back that we have always used and one day we tried them on our new modern bikes as it was a hot day and they were a waste of time. We normally use full face helmets on our modern bikes so looked into new open face helmets and after trying a few was impressed with the Bell 500, they fit snug and and don't lift at all :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    I once crashed a zx6 r on the road and it’s the only time even in fifteen years of racing I got knocked unconscious.
    But the damage to my crash helmet was all on the chin bar and visor.

Since that day I’ve only had full face.
    Not trying to be a scaremonger but it shit the life out of me because I didn’t know what happened