Do I Need To Remap?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Dominic Jones, May 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dominic Jones

Dominic Jones New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    UK
    Hello folks,

Just about to finally get my bike on the road, a lovely Street Triple R 2011, its going to be serviced and have a K&N air filter installed.

It came with dual Leovince GP exhausts, just the cans I think, headers and midpipe look stock, and has no baffles.

Would it be wise to get it remapped/dynoed, or will it be alright as is?

Should I buy after market baffles?

I’ve not rode it yet so I’m not sure what the difference will be without baffles other than sound.

Its loud but I don’t mind, unless its hindering performance in some way.

Cheers.

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’m not sure, but I guess it’d be hard to tell without dyno time to see how the fuelling has been affected.
    Are the cans new, as in are they still available? It might be worth emailing LeoVince to ask if they recommend a remap or not. They’d be able to sort you out with the correct baffles as well I presume.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    From the std maps i have seen they are relatively rich even at WOT/rev limit IE there are only a very few cells that actually achieve best AFR for power IE 12.5 to1 so i very much doubt that a slightly better flowing filter and exhaust will make much of a difference.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    Tricky, can you, or anyone else, please translate that into summat I might understand, please? I ask because, I bought my bike already fitted with an SC Project can fitted. I haven't checked t'air filter, but I reckon its running rich, cos the end of the exhaust is black.

5. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK

Not always a good indicator of general running as idle ...where you see most deposits at exhaust tip is usually pretty rich anyway, the map will have the air fuel ratios AFR set by the map and as i said its pretty rich until high RPM/load so as i said the exhaust is unlikely to lean fueling out much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dominic Jones

Dominic Jones New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    UK
    Another thing, I sprayed the cans, and when I cleaned them prior to painting, the inside of the pipe extensions and cans were pretty clean, especially knowing they’ve been on there for a while, 3/4 years at least. Barely got a black fingerprint from rubbing it.

Would the spark plug be an indicator, or is there anything else to check without getting it dynoed?

This is what LeoVince have said:

Your email has been passed to us from the factory - we are the UK importer/distributor for LeoVince SBK ROAD/RACE range.
    The LeoVince end cans have been tested/developed on stock bikes with the db killers in place. LeoVince, as a general rule ‘advise' getting the bike set up when the db killers are removed (effectively making them race cans) but know that this is not always necessary. Bikes of different engine sizes differ, and with some end cans/bikes you maintain the o.e. cat, some de-cat the bike etc. etc.…… there are many variations. If your bike needs a re-map you will be able to tell from the way it runs. If it is running ok without a re-map then it’s probably not necessary.

They’re definitely stock headers and has not been decatted. Idles around 1200-1500 rpm I think.

7. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    so, do you think I'd benefit from a remap, either a tuneECU or Hilltop type?

8. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Without a decat there will be little change other than volume, You can use plugs as a combustion indicator .....but you have to cut the engine at the RPM/load you want to read and pull them to get any real idea of how it actually running, The other option is to fit a wide-band lambda setup which will give you the AFR in real time that's what i always used when tuning and mapping...but not cheap.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    The simplest way of checking the fuelling is to look at the colour of the spark plugs. If they are mid brown they're OK; if they are more towards white they are running lean.

• Thanks Thanks x 1