Diy Tyre Change

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by bob1, Apr 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    anyone change there own tyres I got two bikes so I was thinking of getting some tyre leavers balancer etc.you can get some great deals on tyres if you buy them loose.looking on you tube it looks fairly easy any advice or is it not worth the hassle.

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Never done it.I should, cos I might have not had seized clamp bolts last year. Good Luck.

3. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    It's not worth the hassle

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    I usually change my own the only problem is getting rid of the old ones

5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Fly tipping???:rolleyes:

6. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    not to bothered about that I'll just chuck them in the local river:p

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. WhoMe

WhoMe Member

Jan 15, 2018
    Alberta
    You will probably want to add a bead breaker to your list of equipment if you have tubeless tyres. Getting the bead unseated so that you can remove the tyre is really hard without a good bead breaker.

Surprisingly changing the rear tyre is a LOT easier than the front, it came off relatively easily with levers and putting the new one on was not that bad. Even managed to seat the bead with just a bicycle pump. The front tyre took me and a mate heaving on the manual tyre changing machine to get the second mead over the rim. Seating the front bead took an air compressor. After all that hassle, balancing the wheels was the easy part.

Overall it takes about 1 hour/wheel to change your own tyres, so the question is whether you have more free time to do the work or would prefer to pay someone else to do the work. The SSSA on my triple meant that the rear tyre change was probably faster, but on the front having to remove both calipers and ABS sensor slowed the wheel removal and replacement.

8. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    thinking about a bit more for the miles I do I think ill just pay to have them changed. Id probably bugger the rims anyway.

9. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Depends on the cost difference between them supplying and fitting the tyres, and the cost of you buying them and then whatever the tyre bay is going to charge you for fitting them ( my nearest wants 20 quid a wheel ) and they want the wheels delivered loose.

So that means supporting the bike to take off both wheels at once or making two trips to have both tyres done.

10. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    (Speed Triple) I have a bead breaker and tyre leaver, but trying to get the levers to work on the front wheel without buggering the large brake discs is near impossible. So I buy my tyres off Ebay or Demon Tweeks and take the loose wheels to my local fitter, they change the tyres for £10 each rim - make sure they don't bugger the ABS ring if fitted!

I do have the wheel balancer at home (off Amazon for about £30 plus adapter for single sided swing arm wheels (£20ish) so I can do both wheels at home, doing it at home you can really take your time to make sure it is spot on and also ensure the correct weights are used such as the more expensive black alloy type

So I say buy the tyres separate, get your local fitter to put them on the rims and balance them at home

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I also use this:
    Abba Skylift

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    It can be done but for the cost of the extra equipment such as bead breakers I just can’t see the point.
    If you were doing tyre changes on a regular basis ( bike courier going through tyres every couple of months )
    Then yes but if it’s just once a year then no.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    I tried the zip tie method one time and it was a complete joke. It might work well on certain tire sizes and wheel combinations, but it didn't even come close to working for me on my sidecar wheel (3.25 x 19). I'm with some of the others that recommend taking the wheel to the dealer for a tire change. In my case, I get a tire change and balance for $30.00 US (1/2 of some other dealers) which I think is completely reasonable compared to their charges for other services like oil changes, etc., which I do myself.

• Like Like x 1
  14. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    i did see a good way to recycle them involving (video on web) putting it over a speed camera and lighting it on fire,terribly illegal of course and not recommended and not funny in the slightest very immature.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. youngy

youngy Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Peterborough
    it is if someone does it for you for free.

16. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    free is always better especially when its food it seems to taste better.

17. Taipan

Taipan Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Essex
    I nearly always change my own tyres. I do it as I like to clean the rim of any residue from the old tyre and clean up and signs of corrosion, lacquer lifting etc to make sure i have no leaks, a s for me, a slow puncture is more annoying than a fast one!

Also because I would only be able to get to a tyre place on a Saturday and i cant be wasting precious weekend hours sitting in a queue in a tyre shop.

I use a spade as a bead breaker, and levers to get the tyre off and on. I have marked some rims when this has gone wrong though, so I can understand why people would rather trust a shop.

My local tyre place does do free fitting to loose wheels, but they are over priced on their tyres compared to online purchasing. I do check first and if the price difference is competitive, I will sometimes use them, but as i say, i'd really rather spend the time at home doing it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    I have bought a pair of loose tyres for the bonnie and am thinking of fitting them myself as I always used to fit my own tyres and have even done it for others back in the day.
    I never balanced them and never noticed any problems because of it, but it was mostly small or middleweight bikes and I was young and fearless, now I am older it....

• Like Like x 1
  19. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    Just to add, for the last 15 years or so all the bikes I have owned had cast wheels which I was not so keen to try changing tyres on, the bonnie however has spokes which is why I am considering doing it myself.

20. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    Tubeless tyres are really hard to break the bead .. separate from the rim. You need a hefty bead breaker for that . If you want the good online prices you could find a local tyre shop to fit them for brew money ...
    I have tried this years ago and ended up jacking a car up on the tyre to break the bead ... Also used to use local car tyre shop for pocket change. But they did not balance the wheels ..

• Like Like x 1