Disturbing Rattle From Right Side Cover ['13 Bonneville Se]

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by daytona2011, May 2, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. daytona2011

daytona2011 New Member

Jan 11, 2020
    atlanta
    2013 Bonnie SE with approximately 11,500 miles on the clock has developed a rattle somewhere on the right side when the engine is loaded at the higher RPM range (like normal shifting range, not pegging the rev limiter). It sounds like it's coming from the right side cover, but it's hard to peg down since the bike has to be moving. It doesn't appear to be chain or sprocket related, and the only things under the right side cover are the stator, rotor, and CKP sensor. I checked the clearance on the CKP and it's within spec. There is a blank spot on the rotor where a couple of teeth would be, but it doesn't appear that anything has broken off; I'm assuming that's from the factory and used as a synchronizing trigger for the CKP. I don't feel any free play in the rotor or bolt, and the retaining bolts on the CKP, stator, and wire clip are all still tight.

The only thing I can see is that It does look like the rotor has been wearing on the stator, but since I can't find anything loose I'm not sure that's actually the case. Any suggestions on what else to check? Since I've got the oil drained anyway would it make sense to go ahead and pull the left side cover and check the clutch? If I already had the gasket I'd just go ahead and do it, but expense + lead time for a new one makes me a little hesitant to do that without good reason.
    IMG_3141.jpg

IMG_3142.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    datona2011
    Not sure this is even close. But does it look like it has been rubbing the stator.
    Joe.

3. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    As Joe has said it does look as if the rotor is wearing on that one part of the stator. Could you rig up a fixed pointer and rotate the rotor to see if it is running true or not?

• Like Like x 1
  4. daytona2011

daytona2011 New Member

Jan 11, 2020
    atlanta
    Turns out it was in the exhaust system. The clamp on the slip-on had worked loose, loose enough that I could move it by hand. I was due to change the oil and check the valve clearances anyway, so no big loss in pulling the side cover.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Donnie-boy

Donnie-boy Member

Jan 1, 2022
    Emerald Isle NC
    Making the gasket is not crazy hard.
    Xf-acto knife
    loosleaf paper hole punch
    Sheet of gasket material from auto parts store.

• Agree Agree x 1