Distinguished Gentleman's Ride 2021

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by steve lovatt, Nov 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    For those interested or who normally take part in this, they have just announced that next years ride will move from it's normal date of the last weekend in September to the 23 May 2021.

Better weather for us in the UK and Europe (probably) but the Aussies might moan a bit! :joy::joy:

dgr.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    I understand May will be the permanent date, as too many events in the northern hemisphere impacted by dodgy weather in late September

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Thanks for posting Steve... I think May will be a much better month for the event than its current space in September :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Even though neither of us are distinguished or gentlemen! :joy:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Correct,,, agree 100%:joy::joy::joy::joy:

My bestist mate @crispey told me to say that Steve’s :worried::joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for this information on the DGR, Steve! I've done it the last two years and will put the 2021 event on my calendar for sure. The end of May can be hot here in Arizona but then so can days in September or October so either way it works here weather-wise. And that weekend in May is not typically a weekend for any other motorcycle-related rallies or events in this area. Knowing the date also lets me plan ahead for requesting donations from family and friends. Thank you for the heads up!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Thanks Steve, calendar updated.:cool: This year I was keen for my first, after doing Movember in previous years, but ride alone had no attraction.:poop:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    No, I must admit that I didn't fancy the solo ride. I got soaked on the one last year, especially on the way home but all the previous ones had been good weather :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    I did it for 3 years dressed as best I could from charity shop tweeds but it does make me wonder about the safety sense riding in just posh attire... rather than a sedate procession of finely dressed gentlefolk riding slowly through the city streets (and delighting the admiring crowds ha ha), our ride has been largely rural perhaps delighting the sheep and cows but not many people... and travelling at a speed to make your coat tails twirl in the wind...not excessive or dangerous by any means, but without protection you’d get hurt in a spill. It’s a great cause and men’s stuff is so often overlooked, but just wonder if there could be a theme where leathers, boots and proper helmets were the event fashion ...

• Like Like x 3
  10. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    #10 Johnjo, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Well apart from feeling a bit of a pratt riding to and from the meet point I had a fabulous day out. Could have put this in the most memorable ride thread.

Only did it the once when I owned a bonneville for 12 months. I already had a suitable outfit, I'm a tweedy kind of guy.

Over 300 of us left the start point, the National Motorcycle Museum. A number of assorted Triumph riders and police motorcyclists acted as out riders. The police held up traffic at every junction, roundabout and set of traffic lights en route. We rode through some of Birminghams suburbs into the heart of the city centre. Nearly 2 hours riding and I didn't have to put a foot down once.

Some great bikes, some great people. A day I will never forget.

Edit, I did get some odd looks and smiles with my wicker picnic hamper bungeed to the rear carrier.

• Like Like x 3
  11. cliverdee

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Ah yes.. can totally understand the buzz from that... we used to get the police outriders holding up traffic for us on the Santa runs and parading slowly in the city was great...

• Like Like x 2
  12. cliverdee

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Ah yes.. can totally understand the buzz from that... we used to get the police outriders holding up traffic for us on the Santa runs and parading slowly in the city was great...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1