Dirty Bum Problem

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by horned one, Aug 21, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. horned one

horned one Member

Jul 29, 2016
    rhondda
    I know most of us junk the rear mudguard in favour of tail-tidy neatness, however I find I need to reverse the process. I bought my bike with a tail-tidy (and when it needed upgrading I made my own replacement) but now have a regular pillion who does not enjoy 60 mph mud showers up her back. I have never seen a rear mudguard but have to find one to fit my 2010 Bonneville SE (prob'ly on ebay), does anyone know if they are interchangeable with other models (i.e Scrambler/Thruxton) or did they change them every year. In short do I need a model and age-specific part, or is there a generic one that fits.

Anyone got one lying around they don't need ?

2. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I just searched "Ductail Bonneville" in Ebay and there are several options there in different styles of read mudguard extenders that attach to the bottom of the number plate - prices are around £12 to £20
    I fixed one to my Speed Triple with the sticky pads and reinforced it with two small screws

3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Have a look at squaredeals

4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I had an old numberplate rear mudguard taken off of my gixxer, when I put a tale tidy on it. Never gave it to the dealer when I chopped the bike in, was just kicking around the garage. So I just cut the ducktail off of it and made an extender for the America, same reason as you, my pillion was getting soaked up her back !!!

5. Chris jones

Chris jones Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Ascot
    Tail tidys are a gimmick.
    Just get the angle grinder out and chop the existing mudguard down.
    You keep the protection from crap being thrown up and they look much much cooler than any tail tidy.

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0258.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ricobanko1977

Ricobanko1977 Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Lymington
    pjglassfibre do some smaller mudguards. I bought one recently and it's a perfect fit. Great quality and good service

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jerican68

Jerican68 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2017
    Victoria BC
    Thats exactly what I want for my T120. What about the cut edge? did you have to paint it? Sand it?

8. Chris jones

Chris jones Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Ascot
    Hay Jeri,

I just filed the edges then used good old halfrods primer and satin black.
    Just build the layers up slowly when dry leave outside to harden for a day or so.
    Then wet and dry in ever increasing number, 200 is like razors 1500 is like velvet.
    More layers and so on.

You could also hand paint them if you are concerned about the edges.
    Same principal as spraying.

Get your own unique look and much better he glass fibre.

9. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    The SE has the shorter mudguard (than the T100) I think it is the same as the Scrambler one.

10. 45Brit2017

45Brit2017 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    UK
    ... which all goes to prove, less ISN'T more, it's LESS. Mudguards are there for a purpose, and the clue is in the name...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    'as it got anything to do with Nutella ???????????????? :p:p:p:p

12. Chris jones

Chris jones Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Ascot
    S
    Suppose it depends on the size pot one is gorging from

13. Jerican68

May 22, 2017
    Victoria BC

My only concern with mine, is that it's Cinder red. But I was thinking about going black with the mudguards and just having the tank that colour. Thanks. I'll let you know if I do it.

14. 45Brit2017

45Brit2017 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    UK
    I was at the Stilton Bike Show last weekend. Of the twenty or so Hinckley Bonneville of various ages and models that passed through, I didn't see a single one so modified

15. Jerican68

May 22, 2017
    Victoria BC
    How visible are the rear indicators? Especially if you had a passenger. The drivers are so bad over here I'm worried they wouldn't see them.

16. Chris jones

Chris jones Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Ascot
    IMG_0530.JPG
    Very visible when working
    Bike was white fenders and tank had the orange flash which was not for me.
    Now black fenders with black tank with white stripe.
    Now Very me ha ha

17. RobBr

RobBr New Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Dereham, Norfolk
    I have a 2007 T100 and am going to do what Chris has done.

Just got a reasonable mudguard off eBay, which included rear light, indicators for £50 including delivery (you can get them a little cheaper but I will probably sell the lights and get some money back ). I will cut it down and fit it, then hold on to the old one to return it to standard if I sell later.

18. Chris jones

Chris jones Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Ascot
    when I cut it Rob I covered the cutting area in masking tape, which saves the existing paint work of the bit you retain and you can freehand the shape you want with a felt tip/pencil on to the mudguard.

Just about to do a post about my air filter upgrade ......

19. RobBr

RobBr New Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Dereham, Norfolk

20. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I clicked on this post expecting to find a list of curry houses to be avoided.:laughing:

• Funny Funny x 1