Difficulty Starting And Cold Running

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by Boggie, Jun 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Boggie

Boggie New Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    Evening all,

I picked up the bike yesterday, a 1979 T140E in generally great mechanical condition. It is a UK bike from new but was ordered with the Peanut Tank and High bars, like the US model. It has been uprated with nikasil-lined alloy barrels, Carillo con rods and pistons, balanced crank, updated push rods with Norman Hyde tappet adjusters, forged alloy push-rod tubes and Norman Hyde valve springs. There is an uprated oil pump and clutch, electronic ignition, 1.5 inch headers (no balance pipe) with straight-through Commando pea shooters (that sound fantastic). It has alloy rims with stainless spokes, Koni adjustable shocks, a 12 inch Norman Hyde front disk and fork brace. Other than that, it is a completely standard bike ;-) and a great base for my winter restoration plans.

However, whist the bike rides and stops very well, it is challenging to start and will not tickover when cold. Attempts at starting are most successful with the choke on between half and full, find compression stroke and kick it with a little throttle, but it may take a number of attempts before it finally goes and then I have to constantly blip the throttle or she dies. Once she is fully warmed up after a ride around the block (running really well / pulling very strongly and smoothly) she will settle on a lumpy idle. The LH exhaust firing cleanly on each ignition stroke but the RH exhaust firing sporadically (a bit like one of those old static engines you see being shown at steam fairs).

So, suspecting a carb / fuelling issue I have done the following:
    • Remove the airbox sides.
    • Cleaned and re-oiled the (rather dirty) air filters.
    • Removed and cleaned the throttle idle position screws and fitted new O rings.
    • Felt the slides to set the throttle idle position screws at the point where they just touch.
    • Removed the air bleed screws, cleaned the hole / passage with spray carb cleaner.
    • Fitted new O rings to the bleed screws, screwed them in all the way, them out 2.5 turns.
    • Removed the (very slightly sooty) plugs, cleaned, gapped and refitted.
    I screwed both idle screws in a couple of turns, set choke and kicked her over. As before it took quite a few attempts to get her started (trying various combos of choke / throttle / cursing) but once she was running, I set the idle screws to get a 1000rpm idle with no choke (she does not like running with choke at any temperature).

After a little trial and error, I settled on 3 turns air bleed (this was how she came originally) as she seemed to run best that way but there was no improvement in the sporadic RH cylinder firing. I took her on a run around the block but once she was warmed up the idle was now 2500rpm so I tweaked the idle screws down so she was at 1000rpm again but still lumpy and occasionally stalling. Presumably when she is cold I will not have an idle as before. So, all that work has done nothing, other than to show that the problem lies elsewhere.

Are any of you Meridian Twin experts able to help me identify what this could be please?

Thanks,
    Ian

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    My interpretation of your write up is that you have concluded it is probably a fuelling problem but a clear misfire in a mechanically sound bike with good compression might make you suspect a misfire. Try swapping HT caps and leads and plug to see if the problem moves. If not it could still be ignition related. How old is the fuel?

Sometimes elimination is the only way to chase down the problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Do a compression test on each cylinder it could be a result of all the previous work?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Taff

Taff Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Cymru
    There is a technique to starting a Meriden twin.
    1. Tickle the carbs. This effectively floods them and provides a choke effect. You don’t need to use the actual choke lever.
    2. Turn the engine to compression
    3. Kick start and follow through to make the engine really spin
    4. Open the throttle about half.

You might need to set up the carburettors. There is a concise guide on how to get this right at www.amalcarbs.co.uk
    Taff

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Boggie

Boggie New Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    Thanks Taff. My bike is a T140E with Mk2 2930 Amals, so no tickling required. Have been looking at the Amal site, thanks for the advice.

6. Boggie

Boggie New Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    Good plan, I hadn't thought of that. Will check compression too, as Wishbone suggests

7. Boggie

Boggie New Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    I will strip the carbs, put them in my ultrasonic cleaner for a couple of hours and inspect everything before ordering any required bits from Amal. I was looking on their website and about to order a couple of major rebuild kits but I have to supply needle and jet sizes. Are the needles and jets marked for easy identification?

8. Taff

Taff Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Cymru
    Trust me. All 930 concentrics need tickling to start from cold.

9. Boggie

Boggie New Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    #9 Boggie, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Interesting; my carbs don't seem to have a tickler, at least not like you find on Mk1 and Mk1.5 Amals. How do you tickle the Mk2 930s please? Maybe this is part of the issue.

10. Taff

Taff Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Cymru
    Beg your pardon. Thought you had mk1’s.
    Best of luck
    Taff

11. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Sounds like fuel to me, i would strip and clean the carbs but in order to make sure the idle circuit is clear you really need to physically use a very fine piece of wire or drill (I'll check size as it can enlarge the bleed holes if you get it wrong), but i would suspect the idle side, carb cleaner and even ultrasonic cleaning wont usually do it if there is residue build up in the tiny drillings.

Other than that as long as the ignition timing is spot on and you have a good spark it should fire up, i would also advocate using the tickler instead of a choke....my T160 will start first kick every time if i flood the carbs when cold.

12. Boggie

Boggie New Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    #12 Boggie, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Ok. So I pulled the RH carb from the bike and stripped it down. Here is a link to a picture of it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/sBVTs1itdryRqHMli0zuFcPQiWY3OsC7zFkZU4G5K5G

Comparing this to the exploded view in my workshop manual has me a little confused so I have a few questions, if that's ok:

1. On the main body there is a blanking screw where my manual says there should be an idle jet.

2. On the float bowl, I have removed the cold start jet (size 50). You can see this lying on the top, next to the deep passage it came from. At the back of the float bowl (centre, top) there is another jet (size 25) which is not shown in my manual at all. However, as it feeds up to a hole on the engine side of the slide in the main body, I am assuming this is the idle jet. Is this right?

Apart from the above; all of the jets and passageways appear to be clear. I have blasted through with carb cleaner and all seems well.

Here are the sizes:
    Main jet = 220
    Needle jet = 105
    Cold start = 50
    The not shown but probably idle jet = 25

Any thoughts please?
    Thanks, Ian

13. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Sorry hadn't realised that it was a Mk2 concentric...only ever had one of those that i fitted to my Sportster and cant really remember the foibles but it still sounds like the pilot circuit to me.

14. Boggie

Boggie New Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    Thanks All. I am going to refurb both carbs first, then check for voltage drop to the coils and EI. Will post back results.