Welcome to The Triumph Forum

The World's busiest Triumph Forum. Join this amazing group of people and start discussing the thing that we all love, Triumph Motorcycles.

Different Types Of Air Injection Removal Kit

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Dozers Dad, Jul 9, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yorkie199

Yorkie199 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    Delboy does a good video on YouTube about AIS removal it's worth a look if you haven't already seen it

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire

• Like Like x 1
  4. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Crème de la Crème

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    Blanking plug for the little secondary air distributor. To eliminate EMLs I guess. But why would you want to remove AIS? does bugger all as I see it. :)

5. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

The pipes have started to blue Jack.
    I don't mind removing the blueing once but I'd rather not have to keep doing it.
    Apparently removing the air injection will stop it reoccurring.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

The seller offers two types of kit. One for carb bikes & one for EFi bikes.

Several other sellers offer the same (non EFi) kit for both carb & EFi bikes?

• Like Like x 1
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf GRRRRRR
    Subscriber

Mar 30, 2017
    Washington Tyne & Wear
    Yep that’s how I did mine :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tallaferro

Tallaferro Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2018
    Catalonia
    May be a silly question but...

I just blocked the air intake hose with a 11 mm steel bearing ball and let the engine run for 20 minutes for the controller to re-adjust.
    What is the advantage of physically removing the complete system more than cleaning up and the weight?

I keep seeing people doing the complete removal and an aftersales market around it so I guess there must be a reason.

Really do not know so any advise would be wellcome

9. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    sw london
    Both ways are acceptable, I removed all of mine, I don’t know why, just did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Smilinjack

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    Same as VFR. Block the pipe and disconnect PAIRS valve. Also makes flapper valve stay open so full use of airbox all the time. Now that bike really does change after this mod. :)

11. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    I'm thinking of doing mine but I've got the TORS pipes on and I love the popping when I'm slowing down and apparently AIS removal gets rid of that , but my question is, my T100 has the snatch throttle at low revs so low speed stuff is interesting sometimes but does it help cure that cheers.

Chris

12. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    I'm thinking of doing mine but I've got the TORS pipes on and I love the popping when I'm slowing down and apparently AIS removal gets rid of that , but my question is, my T100 has the snatch throttle at low revs so low speed stuff is interesting sometimes but does it help cure that cheers.

Chris

13. Smilinjack

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    Exactly why I did my VFR and it made a different bike of it. No guarantee the Triumph will benefit but worth a shot. Don't have to dismantle it, just block it off first. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Eric_H

Eric_H Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Blackburn, Lancashire
    I've fitted the Norman Hyde Peashooters and removed AI, the bike still pops a bit on the over run with the throttle closed. With the AI connected it was unbearable and the bike sounded like it was broke. In my opinion it's just right with it removed. Not sure what the affect would be with TORS, you could try blocking the AI feeder pipe that comes from the air box just to see I suppose.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else
    Subscriber

May 12, 2014
    Winchester
    The "kinda electronic plug block-er-off-er thingy...." is for the EFI bikes. It fools the engine management system into thinking that the SAI is still there even though you've removed it, otherwise you get the orange light permanently on your dash. I removed all of mine as I saw no point in leaving something on the bike that was no longer doing anything and I did use that kit.
    You might find "Keefs" rantings on the subject amusing mate! https://bonniemods.info/ :cool:

16. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    We've got two Bonnies, both with TORS pipes.
    My wife's has all the kit on still and pops and bangs on the overrun, mine has it all removed and doesn't pop and bang on the overrun.
    I'm not that fussed about the noisy overrun and wanted to junk the useless kit off the engine/airbox :)
    Plus if it's popping and banging, it means the throttle's shut :eek::D

I've been told not to do it to the wife's Bonnie o_O

Mine is a bit snatchy on the throttle but it's not a real issue and I'd guess some of it is down to it being a twin anyway....

• Like Like x 1
  17. dilligaf

dilligaf GRRRRRR
    Subscriber

Mar 30, 2017
    Washington Tyne & Wear
    Still got a bit of popping on mine but not as much :)
    I also changed the air filter for a K and N and removed the snorkel :)
    All this helped with the snatchiness :p

18. Eric_H

Eric_H Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Blackburn, Lancashire
    #18 Eric_H, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    From what I understand the snatchy throttle is when the ECU goes from closed loop to open (or the other way around, can't remember. I suffer from CRS) and afaik the only real remedy for this is to remove the lambda sensors and run a custom map, removing the AI does help a lot but doesn't completely stop the throttle snatch at low revs. At some point i'm gonna remove the Lambda and will more than likely go with one of the TTP tunes. I'm tempted to remove the 02 sensors and block the hole on the headers then disable the check with TuneECU just to see what it does but I'm not fully confident as to what this will do without a custom map that alters the fuel/air at the low % throttle opening.

19. capt

capt Senior Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi Eric_h and all, I've done all the removal works, there is no I repeat no aid related fittings left on my bike ! Clean headers no oxygen sensors (plugged) no stems into exhaust ports, no controller. Its all gone ! My air box is opened up top and bottom, you have to cut out/open the bottom of the air filter too ! This is only 3% or so less efficient than putting pod filters on and there's no extra cost's from buying different pods filters !I have 904 cc big bore kit with high compression pistons. Bike has been tuned/setup on a dyno it's only approximately twice as dear as a ttp tune and it's more suitable to your individual engine !! I had to upgrade/uprate the clutch springs as slipping was occurring under heavy acceleration over 4 or 5 thousand rpms , this will begin to occur in motors producing 65 + HP as clutch is built for 55/60 HP range ! The ais removal for popping is recommended and worthwhile ! Doing air box etc is more than worth it , but we are now into individual preferences and choice's ... Big bore kit was merited in my case as I wanted more torque as I tow a trailer !

Cheers capt.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Eric_H

Eric_H Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Blackburn, Lancashire
    Thanks for that Capt, I'm not bothered about more power just something that runs smooth and handles alright. I do love the Bonneville so I don't mind spending a bit of money and time to get what I'm after. I've had the SE almost 4 years now and slowly away I'm getting there but like I've said before I'm going for a slow push in regards to modifications so that I don't end up throwing things at it and ending up with something I'm not happy with. the NH Peashooters were a good choice as were the Hagon shocks. So did you remove the 02 sensors and run the original map or did you run a custom map? I tried a few maps when I changed to the NH peashooters and the best map I found was the one that the bike came with all the rest seemed to make the bike run to lean or to rich even after I'd done a reset on the adaptation