Diesel in Engine (not by me!!)

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Chris B, May 25, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris B

Chris B New Member

May 25, 2015
    Bedfordshire
    Hello Triumph forum,

This is my first post on the forum so please be gentle with me :)

This weekend, after years of talk and procrastination I became the proud owner of a 12 plate T-bird Storm with Hogslayers (I put the Manta fly screen on). It's currently sat in Garage because it ran out of fuel on way home (fuel gauge read half a tank left) and the recovery agent made a bit of a faux pas and put diesel in. He could not rectify it had to recover it to my house (not the home coming I imagined!)

The Recovery company can't apologise enough (neither could the poor recovery bloke who was gutted and planning for impending unemployment. We even bought him a Costa to try and keep his spirits up) and are going to pick the bike up to take it to a garage for repair.

Just so that I am fully informed just in case someone tries to fob me off with a bodge job, what sort of things will need to be fixed / replaced to get her back on the road again?

I have a quick second question. Can replacements be bought of the round metal disc things (not the technical term!) that are on either side of the engine block near the rocker cover. The finish on one of mine is a bit peeled away (it's not on this picture). It's a minor cosmetic matter that I'd like to try and sort out in the near future if possible.

Got to go now. Apparently cups of tea don't make themselves!

Chris

Engine circles.JPG

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hi Chris welcome in, was the bike run with the diesel in? If not it should just be a flush of the tank. If run I'm not sure of the implications I'm afraid, my wife did petrol in my diesel car and the system just needed flushing but the other way around I've no idea. Good luck tho

3. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Can't think it needs any more than emptying tank and flushing. Think I'd remove plugs and turn engine over blowing left over diesel if any out of cylinders as well when tanks empty. Surprised recovery guy couldn't do that. I'm more puzzled fuel gauge reading wrong. I take it you are sure it had run out of fuel? Good luck welcome aboard.

4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Could have written the above myself!
    A tank full (or two) of nice clean shiny/sparkly petrol will soon sort out any remaining diesel in the system.
    In my yoof we would stick a few ml. of Castrol R in our tanks for that racing smell!! So a bit of diesel shouldn't be a problem (although bikes were much simpler in those days - 1960s - and easier to fettle when they went wrong ... which they did!!). :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Recycled Rocker

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Heh heh heh wish they would market an aftershave with Castrol R in. I could just make do with a couple a gallon a week. Reminds me to get some and put a drop in my petrol as we used to..

• Like Like x 1
  6. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Ee lad ... those were t' days!! :D:D:):cool:

7. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    Can you stop talking about Castrol R as I'm coming over all funny.....

• Like Like x 2
  8. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    NURSE ... THE SCREENS!! :eek::oops::D

• Like Like x 1
  9. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome - hope it gets sorted for you

10. Recycled Rocker

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Heh heh heh...I think that might have been the Big Lad effect as well

• Like Like x 1
  11. Recycled Rocker

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    You called, get back in bed, it's the Mechanics round time..

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chris B

Chris B New Member

May 25, 2015
    Bedfordshire
    Thank you for all the replies. I contacted triumph as suggested (email) and to their credit they called me back to reassure me it should be fine. Pure triumph Woburn did the work and I got my baby back :) all running well and fuel gauge also seems to work (will never fully trust it though) Going to work has now become rather awesome on my 'bird

image.jpg

13. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Chris, I'm sure it was a bit of a pisser on your "special Day" - but glad to hear all is well now.

Better make sure you do a few tankfuls quickly, just to make sure ;);):rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Obviously I'm suggesting this from a technical and safety viewpoint. Nothing to do with personal pleasure or anything like that.......................................

14. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    What? What ?

You Guys........................................................................

15. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    With modern fuel-injected bikes they don't normally have a fuel tap, but they do usually have a yellow low fuel warning light.

• Like Like x 1
  16. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Just what I still have on my 04 Bonnie - reset the trip when filling up and reach for the tap if you go over 130 miles on a good day.

17. Recycled Rocker

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Reserve position on tap of SWMBO HD (peanut tank) gets her 3 MILES further ...ran out of fuel on chevrons where M18 meets M1

18. Recycled Rocker

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    No LE have not bothered with Harley, pretty special bike 96 tuned motor dropped onto suzook wheels/ yam brakes old harley racing style tracker seat AND 1967 plate oh and Chromed tank fer her. Also added indicator warning lights in form of skulls, the eyes flash red when indicating, very noticeable.

I might just have a look see at tap when I get a min though, thanks fer suggestion.

19. Recycled Rocker

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Yep, like goody points, however SWMBO is the one with the fastest draw in Yorkshire with a soldering iron. (Into stained glass work as a hobby) Like yer ideas LE.

• Like Like x 1