Didn't Mean To Be Here So Soon...

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by LeedsITGuy, Jun 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. LeedsITGuy

LeedsITGuy New Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Leeds
    Hi all - as an almost Triumph owner (pick up my Tiger 1200 this weekend), I thought it'd be good to join the UK forum to keep in touch with whats happening.

I bought the bike on Saturday, and as you may gather from the title, it wasn't entirely planned! I have been thinking about a big trailie/tourer type bike for over a year now; I currently own a Yamaha FZ1, which I rate very highly, but I get most enjoyment from touring. So, back to Saturday - I'd planned a ride out taking in A1 Moto in York for a look-see and a coffee, and then off into the Howardian hills for some twisties riding. At A1, I had a chat with a salesman (Stuart), and he said there was a Tiger 1200 XCA demo available - did I fancy it for a couple of hours....well, that was a bit hard to turn down. So, after giving him my license details, NI number (for insurance) and a parting "just so you know, I won't be signing anything today", I took the bike out.

The ride on the Tiger started slowly - getting off a fairly low FZ1 onto a Tiger is quite a step up - but I took it steady up to Castle Howard to stop for a coffee. Even in that fairly short ride along the A64, I noticed how quickly the bike turned into corners - it seemed so much faster to turn than the FZ1, which is probably due to the wide bars and high up riding position, but it was an eye-opener. After my coffee, during which I'd planned a route through the lanes in the hills, I took off on the bike again, and WOW!! The bike was amazing to ride, totally comfortable, the TFT display was great, but the handling was something else...I could've rode that bike all day.

So, got back to the dealers, and the guy asked how it was, at which point I just told him to start writing up the sales order - I wanted one! I did manage to resist buying a brand new one, and got an XRT ex-demo with 3k on the clock for a reasonable saving off new - so much for "I won't be signing anything today".

I'll be collecting the bike this weekend, and will no doubt be doing some decent rides after that, just to get to know the bike better...then its off to eastern France with some bike buddies in the first week in July - can't wait.

I'm looking forward to having a good look through the forum at other Triumph owners experiences and issues, and helping where I can. My first thoughts are what are other Tiger owners doing about mounting GPS on the bike - is it a RAM mount to the handlebars or nothing?

Cheers folks,
    LeedsITGuy

demo_tiger_castlehoward.JPG

• Like Like x 8
  2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome, great introduction as well.....
    Wessa

3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

4. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Enjoy your new ride :cool:

5. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    Welcome to the Asylum you should fit right in.
    _20180315_063757.jpg Tucker _20180315_063720.jpg _20180315_063720.jpg

6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum :cool:

7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  8. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Hi and welcome in ! I just smiled reading your intro, the same thing happened to me a few times ! Congratulations on the new bike, I wish you many safe and trouble free miles !

9. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    Congratulations on your new bike, A1 Moto are good to deal with too. Enjoy the summer.

10. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Welcome buddy :)

And ofcourse Congratulations ;)

11. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Good morning and welcome!

12. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Welcome aboard.

If you've still got holidays left in the budget, check out the GMU thread in the Newbies section. 12th-15th July in Wales, our annual picnic.