Sprint Did Anyone Changed The Clutch Already?

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Hubaxe, Jun 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Hi,
    As other owner of Sprint ST 1050, the clutch may stick when hot. The bike is 55000 km, not well maintained. So I guess it's not a bad thing to go through the clutch replacement.
    I looks on the web. We can find clutch plate sets (EBC, GECKO) for around 100 £/eur.

These sets do not include the flat steel plates. Should I changed those too, or should I just changed the corked plates?

As new springs only cost around 10 bucks, no question, I'll change them.

Wemoto sells GECKO plates for the half of EBC plates price. And I've seen bad reviews on EBC plates. Really questioning.

I'd prefer to have a feedback from someone there who had the clutch changed successfully.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The flat steel plates generally don't require replacement as often as the friction plates . Only replace the plain steel ones if they aren't flat (warped) or they are discolored (blue/black) sometimes they go rainbow !

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Thanks for that reply.
    I've ordered a set of EBC plates + springs. i'll check the steel plates once everything is disassembled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Hubaxe
    Never had any problems with the ebc plates or pads at any time and never have changed metals.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Thanks for your feedback Joe.
    I have EBC pads, and I find them very good. I was surprized to see bad review on EBC clutch. Anyway, I've been on the brand trust side and ordered EBC clutch.
    Now looking on the web, I can see discussion about soaking clutch plates in oil before mounting them.
    Any opinion on that welcome.

6. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Clutch change pending. Yesterday after work I drained the oil (and soak new clutch disk in), and removed the 3 side housings.
    The most difficult part is they are glued with the old joint. I found a bit of WD40 helps.
    For sure, no screw driver used to separate the housing, but a carpenter hammer worked well as action lever.
    Today a friend comes with his shock driver, and i'll spend more hours to clean the old joint glued on the housings (that's the guess work).

I could inspect the gears (starter gear, and all visible ones), and the clutch lever axle. all look very good. Better than expected. No visible wear.

To be continued.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Clutch done.

Didn't test on a long ride yet, but it works.
    Don't do like me, be attentive, clutch plates and steel plates have both 2 thickness, and the order must be respected.

Removing the glued old joint parts is a long job.
    An old wood chisel with a smoothed cutting edge ended to be the best tool. Take care not to damage the housing surfaces. these need to be left flat and scratchless.

I've put new heavy duty springs from EBC. the clutch handle is a bit harder, but not enough to become an issue I think.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Test ride done in hot condition. The clutch isn't sticky anymore, I can find the neutral anytime, I can change gears even at low rev.
    Gear change is now silent and smooth.
    As a frenchman I will stick to the reputation we have, and I reject any modesty to congratulate myself for this successful repair. :)

I have now the feeling the bike is new.

I'll celebrate tonight with some beer. :yum

• Like Like x 2