Thruxton Diary Of A Thruxton 900 Owner

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Thruccy Sean, Apr 5, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thruccy Sean

Thruccy Sean Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Yeah it's that 'not being happy' that led me to want to make a change to the tail light in the first place. It was sort of working but I was checking it and the indicators every time I was about to make a journey as I knew it would go again. Plus I put the tail tidy in when i first got the bike, I can make a better job of old work now so I'll try and do it properly this time.

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Check the earths, when you search this, they all say earths.

3. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Well I got totally fed up with the LED light and the replacement I was sent had a part broken on it before I even unwrapped the thing ...

Ended up cutting the wires on the original LED light and fitting my own bullet connections. That didn’t work either.

So copying my original standard tail light I attached the earth wire to the screw on the casing of the light and the other end to the bike (exactly the same as original set-up) that didn’t work either. On the LED tail light the earth is soldered to the circuit board.

Tried all the different combinations of connections known to man and none of them worked so in the end I threw it against the wall and went back to my original 3rd party tail light.

I snipped all the bad/loose connections and put new bullet connectors on so this should solve the dodgey connections issue. Heat shrinked the lot and it works a treat.

I also installed new front and rear indicators. There was nothing wrong with the previous set but I didn’t like the way you couldn’t see the indicators flashing from side on.

So now I have these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Killed my battery (again) whilst doing this so now it’s back in the optimate.

Despite all of that I suppose my wiring/connections are now much better than it was and I’ve learnt a little more about my bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Blimey that was a mission. One of those, wish I never started jobs? Still all sorted although not quite to your original brief

5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    really sorry the led tail light didnt work, as I think its a marked improvement on the non led one.
    like the indicators, shame they don't do chrome

6. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Yeah sort of. Having said that I always knew I’d have to revisit the wiring in my tail tidy/tail light at some point so at least that’s all sorted. Until next time :sob:

7. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Yeah I agree the LED was lovely and bright and the whole unit felt very solid. I just couldn’t put any more time into it.

Are these not them. Check out the second picture - same as mine but chrome. First picture is confusing - http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/tr...s-colour-options-1x-pair-el01-006-26550-p.asp

8. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    BTW, I had a look at my tail light with indicators on tonight and in the dark I could see a faint dimming in time with the flashing but none with the engine running, maybe your battery wasn’t up to full power or something?

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
  10. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Your led tail light must be a Multi volt model, they will sense voltages going up and down when other lights and accessories are switched on and off, they will react !! this will be visible as A dimming and brightening as the accessories are switched on and off . So Don't worry Be Happy NOW

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Anyone know of you can get seat bolts that sit flush? Now I’ve got the cowell off the
    Possible. Although the battery had only been fully charged the previous week.

Having said that I had been mucking about with it for a while since that.

Either way I ain’t doing it again :)

12. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    So my brand new indicators are what, almost 8 weeks old and I’m fairly sure I’ve not ridden in the wet during that time. Anyway 5 mins into my ride home I move the switch to indicate right and nothing happens. Neither the front right or rear right indicator flashes and the little light on the dash isn’t flashing either. So I move it to the left and suddenly their not working either!

No way all 4 bulbs have gone at the same time and my wiring/connections were solid (so I think).

Anyway a bit further into my ride home the left indicators start working again but the right would t work at all.

Headlight works fine. Tail light and brake light works fine just the right sided indicators that are playing up. It’s weird that when when moving the switch to the right nothing at all comes up on the dash.

Any ideas other than checking all the wiring? (I hate wiring!) :(

13. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I would check the wiring back at your joins under the seat first then in the indicators. Oops sorry you said apart from wiring.... go make some tea!
    I’m sure it’ll be something simple but hard to find

14. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Uff I hate the wiring under the seat :sob:

15. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Got yourself a circuit tester to test continuity it’ll male life easier

16. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    It’s on the shopping list

• Like Like x 1
  17. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    As you know, I had exactly the same problem with my indicators. Thought I'd solved it by finding that tiny cut in the earth wire inside the body of the RH rear, which I then wrapped with insulating tape.
    All OK for a while but then the LH ones stopped working! Then they worked again then off again - but the RH always worked. (funny as they were the ones that originally wouldn't).
    Took it all apart and checked all the wires inside the indicator bodies for cuts and wrapped them all in tape.
    All connections now shrink wrapped but still no LH indicators! :mad:

Problem solved - I don't know why this should be as everything is insulated but the LH indicators only work when not attached or bolted to the bracket - seems that the rear one is shorting out as soon as you bring the threaded shaft into contact with metal ie. the indicator relocation bracket. Fitted a rubber grommet and hey presto, the bloody things work. I now have both rear indicators mounted through grommets and not over tightened and all is at peace in the indicator world! :cool::cool:

Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Not much going on of late with the bike. Works really busy, gf's pregnant with our 2nd child and we're moving house next week so it's all hands on deck!

Crispey and I did a little service on the bike a couple months back, was great to meet him and get some help with the bike.

The bike failed the bloody MOT though a few weeks back due to the tread on both tyres. So ended up with a brand new set and pads on the rear, all worked out in the end and I enjoyed riding the gf's 50cc scooter whilst I was waiting for the parts for the bike.

I've got a new set of mirrors I'd like to find time to fit that I picked up from the States, they should look pretty cool. I've also been dealing with tamarit motorcycles in Spain as I'd bought some new side panels for the bike. They've sent me 2 sets and they just don't fit, so they're going back. However I can't fault the customer service. Quite fancy a new single seat this year, though making my mind up on which one will be a headache :rolleyes:

I got one of those GoPro Hero cameras at Christmas so have just started mucking around with that on my commute. Nothing worth showing yet as I'm just fiddling with all the settings but I have to say the quality is extremely impressive. Hope to have some fun with it once I've worked it out :)

And I see Matthew has swapped his Scrambler for a Thruxton (welcome to the club!)

• Like Like x 3
  19. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Glad to see youre still alive, was beginning to think the front brake had failed!
    How did the rear caliper go?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Nah the front brakes perfect!

The garage did the rear caliper when they put on the new tyre's and rear brake after the MOT. They didn't mention the caliper but I was told by the guy on the desk there's been a lot of F-ING and blinding while working on my bike :(

• Funny Funny x 1