Thruxton Diary Of A Thruxton 900 Owner

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Thruccy Sean, Apr 5, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thruccy Sean

Thruccy Sean Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Thanks Crispey. I actually had the LED version saved as a favourite in my web browser in case I couldn't get this standard one to work again. It looks exactly the same in terms of shape/size so I think it'll fit and to be honest I'm thinking of changing it anyway.

My indicators are standard too. Do you think having stanard indicators and a LED tail/brake light would cause any electrical issues? I'm just thinking out loud here.

I agree on this standard one being a bit unstable. Even though it's currently working I've found an issue; although I cannot recreate the issue so it's still bugging me and makes me want to swap it for the LED one.

The tail/brake light will come on every time I turn the bike on (not starting the bike, actually it doesn't matter if I start the bike or not). Anyway sometimes, and we're talking like 1 in every 20 goes here when I touch the front or rear brake the brake light will brighten and then turn off when the brake is released. Touching the brakes again causes nothing to happen and the tail light remains fully off.

Indicators work throughout but once the tail/brake light has gone out it won't come back on until I turn the bike off/on again.

As I said though I can't re-create the issue so don't know what it is and it might be another 10, 20, 30 goes before it happens again : unamused:

2. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    #102 Thruccy Sean, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Just tried prodding the wiring again, it didn't do this before. Well it didn't do anything until after 'I thought' I'd fixed it but I'm guessing this was the underlying issue (gotta be the earth right Crispey?).

Tapping/moving the wire slightly causes the light to flicker.

Where the wire feeds into that sort of connector bit at the end, that's pretty loose, moves probably a couple of mm up and down. Not much but regardless of how tight I fit that connector to the bike the connecting wire will still move a little. Enough I guess. Might just snip it and make attach my own connector whilst waitig for the LED version to turn up.

[​IMG]

3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I have standard indicators and that’s no problem with the led tail light

4. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    #104 Thruccy Sean, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Advice please.

All lights turn on correctly on the bike and dash. Clutch lever in. Gear in neutral. Hit the start button and the bike just ‘clicks’.

That’s it. Won’t turn over or start.

Reckon the battery gone from all the mucking around I’ve done with these lights?

Couldn’t be a fuse could it, even though the lights come one??

5. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    More than likely battery, it should recover with a trickle charge.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Thanks. Already got it in the Optimate and it stayed in the ‘save’ zone for a while and now has moved to charge. Hopefully this’ll sort it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    A night with Optimate has done the trick!

Crimped the connector for the earth wire on the tail/brake light and that's now nice and secure too.

See you all in a few days when I replace it all with the LED version anyway :p

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    So I've just ridden into work and the Engine Management System Malfunction indicator light has come on and wouldn't go off?? :cold_sweat:

I'd probably done 50 miles or so with the new exhaust and it hadn't come on until this morning, I hadn't ridden it for almost a week but this doesn't sound good!

9. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Been reading similar stories from other forum members and seems it could be something as simple as a loose battery terminal. Bearing in mind I had the battery out the other day to charge it I suppose that it could be that (although I'm sure I made sure it was all tight).

Perhaps I also could have loosened something elsewhere whilst playing with all that tail light wiring.

That's all I've mucked with since riding last week and there was no warning light then ...

10. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Might go off after 3 ride cycles. If light stays on after 3 ride cycles, then you will need to access ECM for trouble code. Don't panic yet

11. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Thanks Ken, I'll keep an eye on it.
    2 more rides to go then ...

12. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Well, I started the bike up a few hours ago and let it idle for 5 mins to get warm, then turned it off. Just now I've been on a 10 minute ride during my lunch break and after 5 mins the light just went off on the dash.

Stopped, got some petrol and rode back to work and the light stayed off. Strange :neutral:

13. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    More than likely linked to the battery being discharged/disconnected, so Happy Days are here again, sun is shining so get out there & ride it :yum

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    When things fix themselves it’s not strange it’s a miracle! See the light Sean and doubt no more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Let's wait and see if it returns first. Only then will I believe!

16. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    LED tail/brake light turns up so thought I'd fit it, the connector for the light fits no problem however the connections for the indicators do not.

[​IMG]

Thought I had some interconnects for the turn signals somehwere so dug them out but they were for an old bike and don't fit either, go figure : unamused:

[​IMG]

Anyway picked up what I hope are the correct connectors from square deals just now.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Well the indicator connectors arrived from squaredeals and fitted perrfectly. However it doesn't seem to matter what combinaton I use the tail light flashes when the indicators are on?

It lessens somewhat when the bikes running but I know it's not right so what am I doing wrong?

I don't think it's an issue with running an LED tail light/standard indicator combo as @crispey has the same set-up on his bike.

Thanks,
    Sean.

18. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hmmm, that’s a weird one, have you tried with just one side wired up then the other to narrow down anything, I’m away from home at the moment so can’t check my wiring

19. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Yep tried that and it was the same. In fact I just tried without the rear indicators conencted at all (so just the front ones in which I haven't touched) and the tail light STILL flashed in time with the indicators when they were on! :(

20. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    I notice the LED tail light doesn't have an earth wire (don't know if it should or not) the standard/previous tail light did have an earth wire?

• Like Like x 1