Thruxton Diary Of A Thruxton 900 Owner

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Thruccy Sean, Apr 5, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thruccy Sean

Thruccy Sean Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Looking at squaredeals.co.uk is dangerous ... I guess at least there being so much choice makes it's hard to settle on just one of something!

What other Thruxton accessories sites do you guys like?

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I get around 100 to 110 before my light comes on and stays on, you might get a light starting to come on intermittently from around 85-90. I don't do much town riding, mainly a roads and twistys. there is a thread about mileage possibly one in the thruxton area

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Yesterday I had some time to give the bike a bit of a clean, although it's already fairly clean so it did seem a bit pointless but in a way it's the first time I've really got up close and personal with the bike. Main reason for this was that the bike needs to be cleaned before applying this ACF50 anti corrosion stuff. Spent a good hour cleaning and then once dry I applied the magic formula.

It comes out quite gloopy and thick so it's easy to see once on but with a rag handy to wipe off/spread any excess I proceeded to spray it all over the engine, down pipes, exhausts, spokes and wheels, handlebars, headlight bowl and all the nuts and bolts I could get my hands on. Leave for 10-15 minutes then come back and wipe down. It leaves everything fairly shiny and you can almost see the very thin layer or protection the ACF50 leaves on the bike.

Important to cover up the brake discs, foot pegs, handlebar grips and try not to get any on the tyres either as this stuff can also act as a lubricant.

I'd picked up a couple small shiny bits I wanted to put on the bike. This lovely brake cyclinder cover looks great and fits perfectly.

[​IMG]

However I was unable to fit this chrome choke thingy. All I was 'supposed' to do is un-screw the one that's on there and then put the new one on. However the old one doesn't seem to turn? I had the toddler running around me at the time with his plastic screwdriver wanting to fix things so I haven't had a 'proper' look but I assumed it would be a super quick swap over of parts. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

4. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    It might be useful to ask for advice on things in the proper threads as it might get lost in amongst your diary

5. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Hi Sean
    Your bike looks great and its good to see one of the older models, with sooooo much talk on the new Thruxtons, its a nice change and Crispey now got someone else to talk too. Joking aside he is really helpful and I followed his advice to the letter when getting a jack to lift my new one.
    Its funny you taking the grab rail off, as I can,t get one for mine for love nor money, hopefully Renntec will have an answer soon but its nearly been a year!!!!!!.
    Anyway you keep us updated on your progress
    Pottsy

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Thanks Pottsy,

Sorry for the late reply, been an it ill this week but am 'almost' back on the bike now.

When I was last on the bike riding home someone on a Thruxton R overtook me, it's actually the first I've seen in the flesh and it looked very very good! I didn't think I would like it but I was wrong. Sadly my poor old thruxton wasn't even worthy of a glance from its bigger brother :(

7. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    This little box of goodies arrived earlier. It won't happen today but the next time I have a few hours spare project 'tail tidy' will be commencing. A few more wires and extra connectors than I was expecting but hoping it makes more sense when I've got the seat off bike and it's all in front of me :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Looks good Sean. That new thruccy owner just wanted to get past you quickly so he could be the centre of attention once more,

9. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Ha! Probably very true :D

10. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    I'm reading through your wiring harness thread you posted a couple of years ago, hopefully it'll come in handy when I get round to doing mine.

11. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    #51 Thruccy Sean, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Well the motorcycle gods smiled upon me today and granted me the time to have a go at this tail tidy.

Took a little longer than I thought it would but I wanted to make sure I got everything connected properly. The included diagram was somewhat useful but some of my wires didn't seem to work in the way it suggested. I was also looking at a thread Crispey had made about the same thing but even his set-up for the tail loom didn't work for me. So a bit of trial and error and in the end I'm pretty sure it's all working as it should so hopefully that's that.

Here's a rear shot before I started, it really highlights just how big the original set-up is!

[​IMG]

Started whipping bits and pieces off quite quickly and seemed to be on a roll.

[​IMG]

Bike looking a bit bare now :eek:

[​IMG]

Made sure all my wiring was nice and secure and gave it a little spray of ACF50 before wrapping everything in electrical tape. Far from perfect but looks pretty tidy top and bottom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only bit I wasn't totally happy with was the seat needed a bit of pressure put on it to get the holes to line up with the ones on the frame of the bike. The light on tail tidy seems to get in the way a little. If I find time I may fabricate something to drop the tail tidy a bit which should make it easier to get the seat to line up correctly.

Anyways it all works and I'm really happy with it. The contrast between before and after is quite something. The original fender and lights etc are so chunky! They now have a nice hiding place in the corner of the loft, hoping I won't need that large lisence plate again until MOT time.

[​IMG]

I'm still yet to do the matching front indicators, which I have, I just didn't have time today. Hoping they're a much quicker job than the rear stuff.

• Like Like x 6
  12. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    It looks really smart! Makes a massive difference!

13. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Cheers Matt.

14. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Looking good Sean, I hated the standard tail on mine. Those indicators look good if they are like mine they don't take a standard bulb so it's always good to have a couple of spare on you as they're not readily available in shops. Bay9 12v21w I think off the top of my head. And to get to the bulb you unscrew the indicator head off the stalk. Pipes next!!

15. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Thanks crispey, they're Arizona indicators, these are the bulbs you're talking about so I'll grab some spares.

The pipes are definitely on my to-do list but the ones I want, which are British Customs short predators are about £700 :eek: I'd be surprised if I get those this year :(

16. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Be wary of those, great pipes, I've got the longs which make themselves heard so I imagine the shorts are slightly more boisterous! I do spend a lot of time in a higher gear to keep the noise down. One thing in their favour.... they p*ss off the odd! BMW rider

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    That is a very nice looking improvement Sean. Nice work!

18. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Thanks Mick.

19. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Actually buying them is some way off so I may well see something else I like. I do like the look of the current pipes, but I prefer the way shorty pipes looks and I really think they'd suit this bike.

If the current pipes were louder I'd keep them. It's actually quite surprising how quiet they are for a bike which to me is quite big. Just doesn't seem right.

I've listened to your video a few times of your predators. They sound good but you're right I'll assume the shorty version to be louder.

I had a megaphone exhaust on my 125 Suzuki and with that I too found myself riding in a higher gear just to keep the noise down. That was stupidly loud though for such a small bike, felt awkward/a bit embarrassing after a while ...

20. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Fitted the matching front Arizona indicators earlier. Pretty quick job to be honest, I'd already wrapped the wires before fitting them so it was pretty much just a straight swap.

I would of been happier if the wires on the indicators were a bit longer to be honest. I found that I couldn't put the wires exactly where I wanted (back in their original position) because there wasn't enough length on the cables. So instead of being nicely tucked away there's just an ever so slight bit of tension on the wiring. Still fairly neat but that's my only criticism of the indicators.

That's another job ticked off the list anyway :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  21. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Couple of things I've picked up on recently. The last few times I've gone to start the bike up in the morning it won't start because it doesn't think the bike is in neutral (side stand down.) The bike is definitely left in neutral when I get off it and switch the engine off for the night. The neutral light seems to have a problem at that point deciding if it's in neutral or not, for instance I'll make sure the bike is in neutral as I'll get on it and kick it into first and then into neutral but the neutral light on the display flickers between off and on like it can't decide if I am in neutral or not. Bit annoying the last couple of mornings as I usually go and warm the bike up before setting off. Maybe it's caused by the recent drop in temp??

No problem hitting neutral once I'm on my way and at the lights/traffic whatever, or when getting on the bike to go home. Its just that overnight period it's playing up. Anyway just something I've picked up on.

Been keeping an eye on how many miles I'm getting before this fuel light comes on. I'm at 80 miles now after a proper fill up last time (no more was going in!) and now the fuel light is permanently on. That's all on city riding. Not great.

Oh yeah picked this up from another thread - autosol. Put my bike cover on too soon after getting off the bike and some of it burnt onto the header pipe. A lot of it had come off over a week or so of riding but the rest came off with autosol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1