Thruxton Diary Of A Thruxton 900 Owner

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Thruccy Sean, Apr 5, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thruccy Sean

Thruccy Sean Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    I had a similar thread over on another forum for my little Suzuki RV125 and I quite enjoyed it. Now that's sold and I'm the proud owner of a Thruccy I thought I'd start another :)

I just like jotting down the bits and bobs I do to the bike and posting a few pictures along the way to show progress. I like logging ride outs, things I see along the way and any other pieces that others might find useful or interesting.

Some of you have seen my thread in the newbies section about how I came to be here but in short I rode a scooter on a CBT for 6 months before wanting a geared bike. I then bought a 125cc Suzuki Van Van and spent 2 years riding, learning, maintaining and modding the hell out of that little bike and loved every second of it. About 6 months into that journey I took my A1 license but deep down I always dreamed of owning something bigger and better.

At the start of this year passing my DAS was on my to-do list and a couple of weeks ago I flew through the DAS and the following day went out and bought this 2012 red Triumph Thruxton.

I'd had my heart set on a Triumph for a long long time but had always been split between a Thruxton, Bonneville or Scrambler. When it came to the crunch I went with a Thruxton as felt it ticked more plus points for me (personally) that the others did ;)

I wanted a black Thruxton, but fate had it this red one popped up locally and everything just fell into place then. I'm beyond happy with my purchase and can't believe it's mine!

I'm sure passing my DAS has helped but I feel like a 'real' biker now :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    When I bought the bike the only things I wanted to do from the off was remove the towel rail from the rear and the fly shield from the front.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Removed those parts the other day and I've also with the help of my local friendly mechanic replaced the rear brake pads which the seller inc in the sale :) I have been advised that the steering head bearings will need doing at some point in the future but it's not urgent.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  4. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    I've picked up some surface polisher/detailer from brilliant.biz for cleaning up the tank/panels/fairing and also some ACF50 which is quite good when used on the engine and other metal parts to prevent corrosion.

Right now on the to-do list it's mainly just to ride the bike a bit more and get used to it. I'm still very much learning after all and the bike does feel a lot heavier/more powerful than what I'm used to. The 40 minute journey into work is over all too quickly but with other commitments it's all I'm managing right now.

I have a number of other things I'd like to do aesthetically to the bike and I'll probably start with a tail tidy and indicators (thanks to Matt and Crispey) for pointing me in the direction of one of these from Squaredeals.

I'd also like a short front fender, probably in black or straight up chrome I haven't yet decided. Perhaps different side panels, clip on bars, mirrors, headlamp grill and then louder pipes. For a bike of this size/power it's far too quiet IMO so I'll have to address that at some point, having had a quick look at price though it might be a while!

Other than that I'll just be keeping on top of general maintenance, the boring (but important) stuff really ;)

5. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Whilst I have a small screen on my Trident and a rack on the back (Givi Wingrack system - handy for touring!) and like the look of them and their usefulness, I really do think that your Thruxton looks so much nicer without the adornments.:cool:
    Is it just a question of tightening the steering head bearings or do they need replacement (on one so young!)? I had a Daytona 955i a while back which just needed them tightening up (missed at two services!) and my Trident (1995 with 50,000 miles on the clock) has had no problem in that area:) - there is time though:(!
    Looks smart, so enjoy it.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    I've had fly screens before and also like the look, but the matching red/white stripe one for this Thruxton is just too much for me. Looks far better without :) I'm partial to a clear or 'smoke' one though.

The bearings have already been tightened so I reckon the next step will be to replace them. Mechanic mate reckons might well go through the next MOT un-noticed but by the time it comes around (end of Nov) it could well need it by then. Surprises me a little as the bike has done less than 10k.

I wonder if the small turning circle of the bike has contributed at all? :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Oh yeah a smaller number plate for the tail tidy is needed as well as removing that pesky warning sticker from the tank!

8. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    we shall have to meet up some time and talk mods, not the scootery type!! maybe Rykas one day!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Sounds good Crispey and I know Rykas as used to do some green laning around box hill :)

10. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Must remember to wear a helmet now I've removed the warning sticker!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hello Sean and what a good idea to report back your experiences on your beautiful new bike. Red is a great colour for Thruxtons I reckon.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Thanks Dave :)

13. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    don't listen to him thats what he said about my blue one!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    :eek: :p

15. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Quick question - does anyone else's Thruxton seat move a little? Like you can wiggle it from side to side and lift it up ever so slightly at the end that meets the fuel tank?

Mine's not solid, as in it doesn't feel as if it's properly bolted down. Don't remember it being like that when I bought it but it could of well been. Perhaps I didn't put the seat back on correctly after I removed the luggage system.

16. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi again Sean, it sounds like you have not fitted it back correctly. There are 'lugs on the bottom of the seat, at the front, which should slip under the bike's frame. I'd like to bet there not in place correctly ???? Quick enough though eh?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Thanks, yeah I'd only noticed it yesterday and didn't get a chance to whip the seat off to double check. Will go back and check it properly this time! You're right though, it'll be a quick fix.

18. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Well I just removed the seat to check everything. It's definitely fitted correctly but still wobbles side to side slightly and can be pulled upwards at the front probably about 1cm.

Previous owner was on the short side and said he had a slightly 'smaller' Triumph seat fitted (in terms of depth) to account for his height. Perhaps this could account for the wobble. I don't remember noticing the slight wobble though when I bought it but as I said I probably didn't notice it.

I mean it's not an issue when riding the bike, just strange that everything else is so solid but the seat isn't.

19. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hi Sean
    My seat has a bit of wobble in it but maybe not as much as a cm, hard to say really.
    Anyway here's some pics of the underneath of my spare seat
    Here you can see some rubber grommets there should be 7 in all. 1 is missing but take note of the 3 at the front, especially the one right at the front.
    IMG_2568.JPG

The next pic shows a close up, is the catchy thing ( tell me if I'm getting too technical:cool:) is that damaged? It's what hooks under the tank.
    IMG_2565.JPG
    Then there's the 2 hooks middle to back are they loose or damaged,
    IMG_2566.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  20. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Cheers Crispey. Without it in front of me it 'looks' the same as mine. I'll take the seat off again tomorrow to double, sorry treble check though.