Dial condensation.

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by John Will, Dec 14, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John Will

John Will Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Bury St Edmunds.
    I think the first replacement one were pre modification or stock held, the third have been fine just unlucky with being so quick to complain and have a responsive dealership who react quickly. Its a problem that was ongoing somewhere on the forum. Ive found Triumph very proactive, hopefully you find the same.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Martin McCarthy

Martin McCarthy New Member

Apr 6, 2018
    Bournemouth

3. Martin McCarthy

Apr 6, 2018
    Bournemouth
    Yes certainly can’t complain within an hour of letting my Dealership know via email and a couple of pics they’d ordered the replacements under warranty so far couldn’t ask for more .

4. Martin McCarthy

Apr 6, 2018
    Bournemouth

5. Martin McCarthy

Apr 6, 2018
    Bournemouth
    Your right he wouldn’t admit over the phone to knowing this was an issue but he certainly was arguing the fact they needed replacing . Bit random how they misted up though I’ve ridden the bike in some biblical rain in wales and over in France and they were fine just happened yesterday for the first time .

6. old git

old git Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    I found the whole T120 ownership experience to be a big disappointment. I got rid of it over a year ago due to numerous quality issues and replaced it with a Suzuki V-Strom 1000 which has been faultless. It cost a fair bit less than the T120 and I wish I'd bought the Suzuki in the first place. Sorry to read that the quality issues are ongoing but I'm not that surprised.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Martin McCarthy

Apr 6, 2018
    Bournemouth

8. Martin McCarthy

Apr 6, 2018
    Bournemouth
    This is the first issue ive had with the bike and so far I’ve enjoyed owning it so I hope this is just a blip

9. Martin McCarthy

Apr 6, 2018
    Bournemouth
    This is the first issue ive had with the bike and so far I’ve enjoyed owning it so I hope this is just a blip

10. Serle

Serle New Member

Dec 19, 2016
    S.Wales
    I have to add to the string that I have had no issues (corrosion, squeaking brakes, misting clocks, dodgy starters, or anything else) with mine, now over 12 months old.

Nothing but happy wind-swept motoring grins, and long may they continue.

Sorry for all those that have had issues but mine's GREAT!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Martin McCarthy

Apr 6, 2018
    Bournemouth
    New dials fitted under warranty with no hassle when I asked how many they’d replaced they said they’ve had to do a few not many !! The fact they replaced them without any questions asked makes me think they’re more than aware of the issue but can’t complain with the service I rang them Friday and the dials we in on Monday . The original mileage was loaded onto the dials via the ecu I guess .

• Like Like x 4
  12. andrewdraper

andrewdraper New Member

Jun 30, 2018
    Porth
    I have a 2016 Street Twin and queried this with the dealer, Bevans in Cardiff. They told me it was normal and that it evaporates through a breather hole. I find it does disappear.

13. Martin McCarthy

Apr 6, 2018
    Bournemouth

14. Martin McCarthy

Apr 6, 2018
    Bournemouth
    Triumph replaced mine no questions asked and a month later replaced them on a thruxton r of my workmates which has the same problem both bikes where about 18 months old

15. Martin McCarthy

Apr 6, 2018
    Bournemouth
    I think they are guilty as charged

16. Julwer

Julwer New Member

Jan 21, 2020
    France
    SOLUTION: I completely dismantled my speedo for the same fogging issue only to find that the tiny allan key screw on the top can be opened a bit to let air in for breathability. This will dry up the dials after a couple of minutes. No need for new dials...I'm surprised the dealer didn't know that?

15796063045917134294583844499528.jpg

15796063480118766260764244330124.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  17. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Well done for finding the solution

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Julwer

Julwer New Member

Jan 21, 2020
    France
    I'd say just enough for the whole thing to fill up with water when it rains . It doesn't seem like the best design does it, you have to choose between having fog or being water-tight.

Personally I think it's better to drill a 3mm hole in the bottom of the dial housing.. that's after you've fully dismantled it and can see that you won't put a 3mm hole in anything important though!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Eddie17

Eddie17 Member

Oct 10, 2019
    Glasgow
    Thanks for info above .Reading this thread as finding white spots(presumably condensation) on speedometer and tachometer dials about 30% on each lower half . I noticed then on return from 500 mile service,bike had been washed and Sun out just as about to put bike away.

Following morning they have gone but I still emailed dealer and await reply .