Dial condensation.

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by John Will, Dec 14, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John Will

John Will Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Bury St Edmunds.
    Went to High Beech today 60 plus miles, foggy then warm lunch time. Dials were ok before lunch then when I was ready to leave there was condensation in the lower third of both dials which did not go on return journey, this is not the first time that it has happened. Phoned the dealer but the guy that usually sorts out service and warranty off today so sent picture and will follow up with a phone call tomorrow. I notice on YouTube that Captain Rumbuctious has had his replaced on his Thruxton for the same problem, anybody else having the same problem?

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Not noticed it on my thruxton

3. Spadaman

Spadaman New Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Dorset
    Yep , I've had that problem and got them changed by the dealer under warranty after the first service - along with new front pads and discs as a result of brake squeal. The ease at which the dealer accepted the problems made me think that Triumph has encountered this issue before and accepted it as a warranty item. There were a couple of other issues (with the exhaust pipes ) that the dealer was balking at but eventually conceded and replaced the items along with the clocks, pads and discs.
    I met a guy at this years Classic TT who also had these problems but was having trouble convincing his dealer that they should be replaced under warranty, he was chasing the guys at Triumph in order to get some remedy but without sucess. I think this was a mistake as the contract is between the buyer and the seller - not the manufacturer.

After all said and done , I am pretty happy with my dealer.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Hi Spadaman, what problems were you having with your exhausts?

..and which model have you got? (Take it you're referring to a new wc twin?)

5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Water Closet Twin ? Is this a new model I've not come across yet?

• Like Like x 1
  6. John Will

John Will Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Bury St Edmunds.
    Result, spoke to my dealer and referring to email plus photo and they said they would refer it to Triumph but said that the clocks and speedo were breathable ! This afternoon email saying replacement clocks on order. In all fairness Norfolk Triumph have always been good to deal with and done various bits and bobs for me without charge or having to book in, more than some of the other local dealers.

7. Spadaman

Spadaman New Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Dorset
    My "Water Closet" model is a Bonneville T120. The issue was with the right hand exhaust pipe that had a section ( about 25mm) which was not chromed . Every one of these models I have seen is the same
    Bonzo
    Model is the "water closet" Bonneville T120. Issue was missing chrome (about 25mm) on the right hand side pipe just as it entered the silencer. All of the T120 's I have seen on the road are like this. Dealer tried to say it was designed like that as the pipe enters the catalyser it is very hot and would discolour the pipe so not a warranty issue. I claimed it was a manufacturing fault as the left hand side also entered the cat but is chromed. No answer to that but the dealer told me that Triumph would n't move. I pointed out that the new (showroom models ) were chromed both sides so obviously not a temperature issue.

The other problem was a few rust spots appearing and a small patch of blue on the downpipes close to the cylinder head. So much for double skinned pipes. The dealer said the spots could n't be rust as they were made of stainless steel! I resisted the urge to PMSL and asked them to respond formally to the problems that I had listed in my letter - yes all these issues were in writing as well as being raised face to face.

A few weeks later the dealer called me to say they were going to change the pipe , clocks and discs/pads. So we got there in the end and the dealer/Triumph came up with the goods and for that I am grateful . I just wish they would n't try to wriggle out of it , insulting my/our intelligence in the process.

I read somewhere that Triumph had spent many thousands of hours testing these bikes in order to iron out any problems - maybe they should give up testing in the desert where it never rains and try doing it in the UK where it (seemingly) never stops raining.

8. John Will

John Will Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Bury St Edmunds.
    My front brakes stopped the noise after 100 miles, Tigers front brake squealed when I replaced the pads, didn't copper seal them as the dealer had at last service. I noticed at the weekend discoloured chrome the same as yours, I'll have to mention when it goes it for clock replacement.

9. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Cheers for that Spadaman.

I have to confess that I had to google PMSL :)

I only asked as the pipes on my Thruxton R are marked & discoloured. The RH side had a blemish from new (almost like someone had grabbed the hot pipe and left a permanent mark there) and the LH side is now vivid blue near the head. Totally mismatched.

I mentioned the original RH mark a few weeks after picking up the bike to my dealer who said it'd polish out - but I don't want polished pipe on the R, I want brushed.

Anyway, I'm half hearted about whinging about it cos I love the bike so much and Id just rather be riding it. It aint a show bike.

Sorry to hijack the thread - just wanted to check what your exhaust issues were.

10. Woznotwoz

Woznotwoz Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Morecambe
    Interesting. I've noticed on hot sunny days the lower section of my speedo does seems to get what looks like a smearing of gel.
    The best way I can describe it is that it looks like someone has smeared some sort of clear gel on the glass - It definitely does not look like normal condensation to me (i've had a few bikes which have suffered speedo condensation). However, this gel smearing effect completely disappears in front of my eyes leaving no mark on the screen whatsoever when I take my bike into my garage.
    I know I'm not describing this very well at all.

11. John Will

John Will Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Bury St Edmunds.
    I described it to my dealer as Vaseline apply by a paint brush leaving the lines that obscure the digital display. 24 hours later it still showed traces of the water. They are replacing the both clocks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Woznotwoz

Woznotwoz Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Morecambe
    Yep applied with a paint brush does seem about right. I don't really want to replace my clocks, but this does get a little annoying.. I'll probably get so peed off with it in the end that I will more than likely start pestering my dealer to sort it out.

13. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Vaseline gel smearing in my clocks too.

..hasn't misted up yet though.

14. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Could be, just a shame it looks like its been applied with an old tar brush :)

15. Spadaman

Spadaman New Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Dorset
    The concerns that I had with the misting up was a) I could n't read the digital displays and b) there's a lot of electronics in these clocks and electronics and water don't mix. Sooner or later something is going to stop working possibly something minor like the MPG readout but possibly something major like cutting out of the engine. If that happens on the road it could be quite dangerous.
    No doubt someone will say that I am worrying too much and that the engine won't fail but I'd rather not take that chance. It goes back to what I said earlier , if Triumph really had road tested these bikes properly we would n't be getting such basic problems now.

16. John Will

John Will Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Bury St Edmunds.
    As I wrote earlier mine are being replaced but three days later looking from the side you can still see traces of the smearing so being breathable, dealer quote what will stop this problem long term although it seems replacements are ok.

17. Woznotwoz

Woznotwoz Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Morecambe
    Well I'm pleased to see Triumph have just authorised the replacement of my speedo. However, I am little disappointed that I have to even get them replaced on a new bike at all. I wonder if this is down to poor quality control?

• Like Like x 1
  18. old git

old git Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    That's a very accurate description of how mine looked. My T120 went into dealer for clocks to be replaced under warranty. Triumph didn't quibble over clocks but according to dealer they twice refused to do anything about the more serious issue of wheel corrosion. It goes without saying that the dealer and Triumph will never sell me another bike.

• Like Like x 2
  19. old git

old git Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    The quality of some aspects of the T120/Thruxton range is nothing short of appalling.

• Like Like x 3
  20. John Will

John Will Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Bury St Edmunds.
    My replacement clocks are update version that allows what ever display(Clock etc) is not automatically changed to mileage BUT I notice slight condensation that is not always there. Dealer has always been good but did mention that the clocks breath so might be a slight occasional signs of condensation, at present they are acceptable. We will see if it's just the colder weather.