Dept Of Vile Little Arseholes

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by MrOrange, Jun 10, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Tried to register my 66' bonnie with the DVLA. They have turned me down because I haven't got approval from owners club!

I have sent photos of complete bike and copy of the old green card, but not good enough for Adolf at the Dept of Vile Little Arseholes.

Anybody know how you go about getting approval owners club?

2. Hippo-Drones

Hippo-Drones Noble Member

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    do you have a cert of conformity? if not contact Triumph directly

3. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
  4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    We all approve on here Ron! Ain’t that good enough as were kinda a triumph club?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
  6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    It seems to be a tried and tested means of authentication for model and year. My Suzuki had been through this with the Suzuki owners club, when it was imported, the gave a guess at model and year ( by photo I suppose) then sent a cert out for DVLA or summit anyway they got the model right and the year is out by 1 they said 79, and I found a USA import sticker under the seat for 78. I think its a case of best practice, right or not, they tried, by best means to accuratly deduce make and model, or they could have come back when the next owner of BIKE X, pays for a classic and gets a MZ or the like, they can shift the blame to the owners club.

7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I guess it makes sense to authenticate the bike, but a proper ball ache eh!
    Wessa

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Have emailed TOMCC, see what comes back.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Daft question maybe Ron, but you have the chassis and engine numbers, right?

10. adethetrade

adethetrade Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    cannock
    You have to join TOMCC costs £20 for the year plus £5 for the reg certificate
    you need to send photos, old log book and get a blank v55 from dvla to be sent, good luck

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Yes. Matching numbers too.

Knew there would be extra cost involved :confused:

12. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    I could never fathom why DVLA trusted national one-make clubs for this kind of thing. It's a nice little earner for the clubs and some probably rely on it in order to keep going at all. I used to be in the Suzuki OC and the post of Classics Officer was voted on at their AGM just like any of the other committee members so anyone could apply and be in charge of this. As I say, why DVLA trust them is a mystery to me...

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

upload_2018-6-11_16-27-17.png

Money making scheme :mad:

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Yes it's bollox you have the bike, you have the original number, you have the original engine/frame numbers so why do you need a dating certificate? but that's how the system works:mad: and the reg will become non transferable:mad: The pain will fade away when you're riding her down the road:cool::cool:

15. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    I think if the number is not on the new system around 1983 and you retain it by proving the vehicle exists it then becomes non transferable (I'm sure this was the case with an A10 I rebuilt years ago)
    If the number was registered on the "new" system and has an old type (blue) V5 then the number is transferable.
    I could be wrong and often am especially when talking to the wife:joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

The original number on my Bonnie, would become non-transferable. Not that I would won't to.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

#17 MrOrange, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2018
    I remember getting an age related plate for my 1959 Hillman Minx. The old deary had been told the car was worth £1200, some number plate dealer came along and gave her £1000 for the original plate, so I got the car for £200 !!!! :p, on an A plate.

Few years later, non-transferable age related plates came out, so I got a non-dated plate for it.

They also tightened up the rules, so the car/bike had to have an MOT to transfer the plate off? IIRC ? This was a good few years ago tho'.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    If you do join TOMCC Ron you're more than welcome o join the Woburn/Milton Keynes branch (once I get it authorised).

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. milligan

milligan Member

May 24, 2017
    n.e. lincs
    Tried to change the taxation class on my 1960 3TA , been off the road since 1983 , told it needs MOT , so must still be on system . MOT tomorrow , then try again , trouble is I have to do it at main post office so a 20 mile trip . Just wondering what fun the DVLA have in store for me ?????

20. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Things have certainly changed since 1970 when I rebuilt one 1954 T110 from two bikes, I rode the rebuild to the local (3 miles away) road tax office to ask which log book and Reg. No. I should use, the guy came out and said which parts of each bike I had used, when I explained he said "you better have a new number" so I got a "H" registered (1970) number on a 1954 bike, no MOT for three years, good result.
    I wish I had kept that bike like so many that have passed through my shed.

• Like Like x 3