Denali S4s

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Hamish, Feb 11, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hamish

Hamish New Member

Nov 8, 2020
    Selkirk, Scottish Borders
    OK, it's only fair I suppose.

After slagging off Denali lights in an earlier post in this forum, I suppose I should post my opinion on a pair of new Denalis.
    I was kinda of pissed off with a pair of Mk1 Denali D2s. No end of trouble (and said so). They were fine for 18 months then started giving trouble.
    Denali are dual intensity i.e. bright and very bright (they default to bright). When full beam is activated they become very bright via a dual intensity relay in the Denali wiring loom.
    Faulty dual intensity relay started it off and because it was an integral part of the loom, I had to get a new loom. Denali shop, UK advised old Mk1 loom now obsolete, so had to get a new Mk2 loom which arrived. Problem 1 ~ new loom had triangular 3 pin plugs, old loom had flat 3 pin plugs (so why didn't Denali advise to get new plugs to convert the plugs on my existing lights?). Ordered converter plugs and fitted them (I had e-mailed Denali for advice but didn't get a reply so went my own way).
    Problem 2 ~ converter plugs fitted and lights connected to new loom. Lights work on full intensity only, which would weld the retinas of approaching motorists/riders. Turns out the new loom has only got an off/on relay NOT a dual intensity one ~ that is a separate order! (I had emailed Denali to ask if I need anything else apart from the new loom to cure my problem. No answer again.) Trolling through the Denali web site and consulting uTube, turns out what I needed was a dual intensity 'plug and play' relay. Mmmm. New relay ordered, which arrived. New relay plugged in. Lights came on but only 1 of the two responded to the full beam trigger. The other had a fault which kept it on low intensity all the time. A tad frustrating to say the least. By this time I was verging on throwing a few spanners around the garage!
    The Mk1 D2s I felt, had probably run their course. So, bitting the bullet I ordered a new set of Denali S4s. They took a while to arrive (I week from ordering to delivery and they did indicate they were in stock!), they arrived this morning. Sturdy looking and well built units and to me, just the right size to fit neatly on a Tiger 900GT. Stainless steel fasteners and a good length of wiring pigtail. They are now fitted and working as they should. Bright on low intensity and very bright of full intensity. Wheeled the bike out of the garage tonight (couldn't go a run ~ snow and covid) and tried them. They will do nicely. I hope they are more reliable than the D2s I had. I'll keep you posted on how they preform.

Moral of the story. Probably phone the Denali boys if you have any problems. They don'y respond very well to e-mail.
    Ask questions to drill down to further detail, they are not very proactive (e.g. see the mention of the new loom above where they didn't ask or advise about different plugs on a new loom or dual intensity relays). This can stop a lot of frustration.

The new lights look good and are really bright. Hopefully they preform as well. Like I said I'll keep you posted.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1