Demo bikes, buy or not to buy.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Abcght100, Feb 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Abcght100

Abcght100 Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Norfolk
    I'm thinking of buying another bike a hyper naked to be exact and I've seen the one I want at a dealership. But it's a popular bike and and it's got 4500 demo miles on the clock and being a hyper naked I'm a bit concerned that it would probably have been given a hard life right from mile one. Do you risk it or play it safe and not touch?

2. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    If the price is right and you WANT it I'd go for it.

3. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i think it would be fine,i woudn't have thought folk would be doing wheelies or stoppies etc on a demo bike,take it out for a test ride and see how it feels/sounds. i woudn't have a problem buying an ex demo if the price was right

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    #4 Rich Bryce, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    If it was properly run in and maintained by the dealer then so long as the price is right I don't see why not buy it. I've bought an ex-demo Tiger with 5700 on the clock which I am well happy with, though of course the type of potential buyers for a Tiger are likely less likely to thrash the arse out of it on a test ride than those for a hyper naked, but then bikes are supposed to be tough.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    What does average Joe do when they get on a demo bike, one thing it aint is to drive like an angel and see how well it balances while gently tootling along just under the speed limit.
    What he does do is get his leg over and think..if I am gonna pay an arm n leg for a new bike, I wanna test ride one to the max and not have to worry about maintaining it. Off on a cold engine and as soon as they are out of sight of the dealer they are seeing how fast it accellerates, how good the brakes are and burning away at the lights.
    Repeat a few times a week for a year or so and maybe dubious oil changes and that is the bike being presented to you after a wash n polish. But the innards may well be knackered

Personnally, unless you are getting a very VERY decent discount and you are prepared for engine trouble when it is out of any warranty then I would avoid any demo bike.

Sorry to be really negative but I would prefer an older bike with a single or two owners where it would more likely have been broken in carefully and been serviced either by the dealer or by the caring owner....

Good luck, but remembr, and buyer down the line from you may notice the first year ownership by a dealer and also expect a decent discount.....

• Like Like x 3
  6. mappster

mappster Member

Jan 24, 2017
    North Wales
    I always give them a good going over to see how the run.perform when I test ride a bike. Not to the point of total abuse, but there is no point in buying a bike and not knowing how it feels!

I suppose it would depend on how long you plan to keep the bike yourself. And has previously said, they are supposed to be quite bullet proof these days.

Good luck what ever you decide.

• Like Like x 1
  7. desertspeedy

desertspeedy Senior Member

Jul 28, 2016
    N. Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I say book a test ride and see what format the dealer uses. I realize things are different dealer to dealer and obvious differences stateside versus in the UK (and Europe). My dealer has an actual test track on the property so we can safely test the limits and the dealer can monitor rider and bike. Another dealer I like schedules demo rides of bikes with similar bikes relative to type and power. Either of these scenarios I would have no concerns.
    Might you get your dealership to give an extended warranty on this bike? Seems fair to facilitate a sale.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Abcght100

Abcght100 Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Norfolk
    Many thanks for all of your replies and I do value them all, however I do find myself agreeing with red thunders opinion in this instance purely because it's a very popular hyper naked. If for instance it was a T100 bonny I wouldn't be as worried.

• Like Like x 1
  9. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Don't agree with you there. Personally I've always warmed any bike up before I set off, it's just common sense. While it's warming up I've familiarised myself with the controls etc. Also i've been keen not to bend the bike so I've not gone daft.
    Yes I've wound the throttle back to see how it accelerates but that's what bikes are for. Plus, any dealer with any sense will have the bike warmed up anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dickydido

dickydido Senior Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Wiltshire
    I've actually bought ex-demo bikes.

They come with full Factory warranty.
    They are fully serviced.
    Anything worn I get them to replace it.
    Anything wrong I get them to put it right.
    If they won't I walk away.
    If there is anything fragile in the design/specification not good enough it will have been mended/replaced/recalled.
    They are cheaper.

Cheers,

dickydido

• Like Like x 2
  11. Abcght100

Abcght100 Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Norfolk
    Totally get what you are saying however not everyone is like you and would let the bike get up to a sensible temperature before putting it through its paces. I don't disagree with having a thorough test ride at all but when you watch some of the YouTube clips of people on demo bikes it makes me cringe somewhat.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Carter

Carter Member

May 26, 2016
    Brough
    #12 Carter, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Remember being given a brand spanker zx6r as a courtesy bike many years ago, got it out and at least warmed it up then hit the twisties for some knee down action.... dealership got a right bag on with me when I took it back as the chicken strips had already 'vanished' lol.
    seen plenty of bikes over the years putting out better power from the off having not followed break in procedure. If the price was right and the bike seems sound with warranty I don't think it'd bother me. It's done 4k not 60k... how worn out could it really be!?!?

• Like Like x 1
  13. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I think you've just answered your own question mate!

• Like Like x 1
  14. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    If the bike is minty and the price is right i would have no problem buying a demo bike, 4500 miles is nothing and you could buy any second hand bike that looks mint but has done a track day every weekend and had the tits thrashed off it and you would never know. I would have a good look at the bike and a thorough test ride and if all is well go for it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Personally I always think how the first few thousand miles have been serviced and ridden dictates the life of the engine.
    This may well be my age showing coming from an era of when you used to change the engine oil, you could see bits of swarf and steel particles from the machining processes.
    Can't remember how long you used to have to 'run in' a new engine, but it seemed to take forever.
    Modern manufacturing with improved accuracies and surface finish, better materials, better oils, you will probably be okay even if someone has screwed the b***ocks of it.
    Decision time!
    If you are in doubt, don't do it would be my advice.

• Like Like x 2
  16. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Ditto, me to, bought 94 trident, had 7,600 odd klms , ran fine I sold it with 161,000 odd klms 6 yrs later and had few issue's with it generally !

Cheers capt.

• Like Like x 2
  17. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    For me this is a simple question. You know the price of a brand new, after discount, virginal bike; is the demo bike sufficiently cheaper - like at least 15% cheaper? Bare in mind the demo bike is a second-hand bike so you should expect it to have suffered depreciation.

If you save say £1500 over the discounted price of a new one, is that enough to offset the risks in your mind? If it is, then buy it, if it's not - buy new.

All this twaddle that is talked when discussing the best way to run-in an engine is just that. Nowadays with cars they don't even give ANY guidance when running in a new car at all! Imo you will get far better service from a bike that has been used (not abused) during this early period of it's life than one that has been baby'd.

• Like Like x 5
  18. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    So there you go, split opinions but plenty to think about.
    You could always try the sensible female method.
    Write down a list of pros on one side and cons on the other.
    Believe it or not I used this method years ago to choose between
    two different women after a suggestion from a female work
    colleague. It worked out a treat.

• Like Like x 2
  19. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Was that to determine which became the mistress or the wife ?

• Like Like x 3
  20. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    #20 R_1000, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    It's a mixed feelings. I for one do give it a going over to see what she is able to do but in a sensible manner. Last thing I need is to crash a demo bike and end up loosing wad of cash. All sort of people would have ridden that bike. As others have said you need to weigh your pros and cons based on price, warranties available n your gut feeling when you take her out for a test ride. All the best buddy

• Like Like x 2