Tiger 1050 Debating changing Tiger 800 XRX to new Tiger Sport???

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Wassers, Oct 23, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    Hi all. I've been using a 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX mainly as my daily commute into west London. I still love the bike and its pretty good at filtering when the M25 & M4 grinds to a halt in rush hour traffic, especially as the 800 is not too wide and can fit through most gaps of stationary traffic. However I am itching over the new Tiger Sport which I did test ride recently (and loved it) but I wasn't able to try it during rush hour clogged up traffic. I had heard the mirrors on the Sport are set slightly higher than the 800 and is about the same height as most vans mirrors, (eg, it will be harder to filter). Has anyone any opinions if this is a good idea to change from the Tiger 800 XRX to the Tiger Sport? Opinions most welcome as I just can't make up my mind.

2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i wouldn't have thought the mirrors would have made it much wider,i think if your'e undecided you would be better to stick with the bike you have if it's doing the job.If it were a bike for pleasure only your decision would be easier

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I believe the the Tiger sport is heavier and carries it's weight higher than the XRX 800.

4. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    Thanks guys for your replies so far? Any Tiger Sport owners feedback too?

5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Had the Tiger Sport as a courtesy bike for the day and to be honest I didn't get on with it at all. Too heavy and didn't feel as nimble as my XRx and to me just wasn't as comfortable. Obviously it's more powerful but I didn't feel it was that noticeable in the way I ride and so the advantage of the bigger engine was lost on me.

6. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Good points Ade - all the more confusing as to why the Sport didn't feel - well more sporty than it did! I think at real world none-ban speeds you don't really get the benefit as you say, but as they say - "the choice is yours".

• Like Like x 1
  7. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    It was the new one - but I still felt the XRx more comfortable.

2016-08-05 09.15.37.jpg

8. Mark36

Mark36 New Member

Oct 25, 2016
    Suffolk
    Ive just upgraded from a Yamaha MT-07 to Tiger Sport '13 plate. I definitely agree with the weight of the Tiger not being ideal for a commuter bike (but I am relatively new to it so still settling in). A high, upright riding position for me is a must so 800 is probably as good as it gets. However if you have an itch then its not going to go away ;-)
    The Sport is lovely - fast, great for long journeys. The new model has ride by wire and therefore cruise control which is great on motorways when not filtering. The old model (mine) doesn't have that.
    A newbie comment perhaps but one I def noticed - the Yam was very loud - the Tiger is much more refined and polite - but loud is really useful at getting Chelsea tractors to part for you!

9. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    Thanks gents for all the feedback so far. Are there any 2016 Tiger Sport owners here who can offer their advice too?

10. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    Gosh. Don't we have any 2016 Tiger Sport owners on this forum? Sure is quiet.

11. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    The only filtering I've done with mine was on the motorway with panniers etc when the traffic ground to a halt, it seemed fine then, apart from being held up by a Beemer :rolleyes: but I suspect it'd be a bit too top heavy for the tight turns and manoeuvres you need to do in London traffic.

12. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    Thanks tcbandituk. it may still be ok as I'm not commuting into central London... it's just West London coming in via the M4, so most of the filtering will be on the M25 and M4.

13. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Last time I had to work in London, it was for 6 months over winter.
    I went out and bought an old 250 SuperDream for £300 (it was a while back).
    Never got cleaned, got dropped a couple of times, was dog slow on the M4 bit, but it never let me down, the journey from Slough to Fulham always took 20 minutes regardless of traffic and I didn't have to worry about the bike.:)
    I sold it when I started working locally again for £200.
    And my brand new Bandit 1200 stayed nice and shiny.:D

14. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    Good call - makes a lot of sense. Wow, a 250 Superdream.... now that is going back a while. I would be using my bike though for touring as well as commuting. Done nearly 10K in 1.5 years from new on my 800 Tiger.

15. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    It was back in 1996, when the Bandit was first released.:)

16. sm75k

sm75k New Member

Sep 29, 2015
    plymouth
    Wassers don't know if you are still interested but i went from a sprint ST to a new 2016 tiger sport in August, i did test ride an 800 Xrx but it didn't have the guts for me so i test rode the new 1050 and loved it! I tour and weekend ride year round and the bike is effortless, i don't have any issues filtering but don't have to do that much of it either. Dont know if any of this helps?

stu

17. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    Cheers Stu. That's great to hear. It does help. I still want to scratch that 1050 itch. My trusty 800 XRx is taking me up to Newark tomorrow for work. A nice little 165 mile ride, but some part of me wishes I was using a 1050 Sport instead.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    Oh no. My dilemma just got worse. Having now seen the new Ducati 950 Multistrada I want to try that too and it could end up being added to my short list.

19. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    I know what you mean littleaid. I do love my Triumphs, however I've always fancied a Ducati too I'm booked up for a test ride on the multi when the demos become available (probably Feb). I'll let you know how I get on.

20. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    Yep. Will definitely be PCP :)

• Like Like x 1