Dealer Overfilled

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by T120Newb, Aug 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. T120Newb

T120Newb New Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Syracuse NY
    Hello All,

Recently got the oil changed at the dealer and they seemed to have filled it past the owners manual recommended spot. Picture included. Is this cause for concern? I assume there is a reason they have min and max mark ?

20190817_111108.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    It’s only marginally over the top line, maybe 100 ml too much? Take it back and ask them to drop a bit out if you want but as long as you have a gap in the window I’d say it’s ok?

• Agree Agree x 9
  3. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    I change my own oil and filter on my Street Twin. I don't really use the oil level window when filling. My owners manual says to add 3.5 guarts when refilling. That's what I do. Then I run the engine, shut her down and check the level. Mine is also 'slightly' above the upper mark. My bike runs fine. So I would not worry about it. But if you are still concerned, have the dealer remove a bit of oil.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I wouldn’t worry about that level mate :)

• Agree Agree x 8
  5. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Just get a syringe off Amazon and drag out 100ml or so
    That level seems absolutely fine to me, very marginal overfill, but if it concerns you the quickest way is a syringe off Amazon with next day delivery

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. T120Newb

T120Newb New Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Syracuse NY
    Thanks all. I will let it be. Seems to not be as big an issue as I thought.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    I've found triumphs hard to fill correctly.
    Especially my Thunderbird 1600.
    Check once its Overfilled.
    Check a few mins later it's under( nope...I know how to check it correctly...it just does not give a consistent reading...my friends storm us the same.)
    I find I have to check it over a few days till the level settles....and it needs to be absolutely upright.
    And stone cold overnight too.
    My tiger 955i is the same but less so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. T120Newb

T120Newb New Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Syracuse NY
    Hey all, so I ended up getting a syringe to pull some oil out and removed about 300 ml which brought it to the middle of the min/max line. I ran it per the manual for 5 minutes at idle and then checked 3 minutes after which brought it right under min line. I'll check it after sitting a while and imagine itll be close to middle of min/max. There seems to be differing opinions on checking this. The dealer put in 4 quarts which equates to 3.8 litres while the manual states oil and filter is 3.4 litres which is about what I took out ml wise.

So would the consensus be to check while cold which would give a more accurate level as it shows the total amount of oil vs hot where it would show oil, but not total as it would still be draining?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Yes...check it cold. That way you know you aren't missing all the oil spread around the engine and not yet drained to the sump.
    All my Triumphs have been a pita to ceck

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    It’s called the Meniscus, it’s not overfilled.
    Check here: Properties of Matter:Liquids.
    Ken.

E6EB05F4-F735-4562-BBB0-51D7C2487C4E.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Meaning what please?
    I'm not that much of a techie.
    I'm a simple soul.....I can't in fact understand why makers insist on checking levels when the bike is upright then a) refusing to provide a centrestand and b) thus requiring two people to check the level in the window.
    On my Tbird the readings vary hugely and somewhat randomly for three days after an oil change ...then they settle down. An explanation of that would help me sleep at night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Y
    Hi,
    You must have seen water in a glass that’s filled to the brim actually sticking up past the rim, that’s called Cohesion (caused by molecules sticking together to work against gravity. (Convex shape)
    Meniscus is when the liquid does not come right up to the top, and in this case the edges of the water cling to the sides of the container and form a slight concave shape so the actual effective level is slightly lower than that which you see through the glass.
    Regards,Ken.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Thank you..yes I'm familiar with the idea and it may well account for the posters experience.
    I'm still baffled by mine...way beyond anything that could be due to this phenomenon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Must say I agree with ht. Thought it was just me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. T120Newb

T120Newb New Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Syracuse NY
    So after riding and then parking and checking the next day before removing oil the level cold was almost to the top of the sight glass. I have it to where cold now it is right above the max line. After running it for 5 minutes at idle and then shut down and check after 3 minutes the level is right at the minimum line. I would still think the cold level check is best, correct?

Picture below showing current level, cold and on center stand for 24 hours +

20190821_155754.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    What does your manual say, check it when cold or after a ride?
    I’ve had cars and bikes that have different instructions for checking the oil but I always follow the procedure stated in the owners manual.
    My car, for example, feels noticeably better to drive when the oil is topped up iaw the manual but if checked when cold it looks like there’s too much oil in. :grinning: