Dead Speed Four

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Derek Fuller, Sep 3, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Derek Fuller

Derek Fuller New Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Sandbach, Uk
    Is it just my luck? ... I went to fit a handlebar mounted sat nav holder on the Speedfour and adjusted the chain while I was fiddling around. Then went to take bike to fuel up and nada ...totally dead when I turned on ignition.

I took the battery off and checked voltage ...8.2 volts. Probably not enough to fire it up? Anyways I've stuck that on charge for 24 hours and will again tomorrow. Thing is I only used the bike about a week ago and it was fine. Are Speedfours/ Triumphs in general prone to running down batteries when not in use every day?

2. Derek Fuller

Derek Fuller New Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Sandbach, Uk
    ok. easy fix. just charged battery for 5 hours at 1.0A. voltage went from 8.5v to 12.3 and bike started straight away. Now all I need to find out is why it went flat over the space of a week.

I have left the negative battery lead disconnected until I use bike again and I will buy one of them Optimate trickle chargers to keep battery nice and charged.

• Like Like x 1