Dead Battery Rough Ride

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Robby, Aug 8, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robby

Robby New Member

Aug 8, 2018
    Portland
    So I left my bike (2004 Thruxton) at the airport for 6 days but left the parking light on. Totally dead battery. Got a jump and it started right up, but the weird thing is it would ride fast for 100 yards, then choke, like the carbs were clogged, they definitely were not before the airport, it ran like a dream. Def seems related to the dead battery. Anyways, wondering why it would choke like that? I figured once it started the alternator would charge the battery but it was choking and running so rough I had to tow it home and now its been charging on my battery maintainer for two full days and is still totally dead, not even a dim light in neutral. Why like this!?

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Hi.
    You drained it, then kept draining it for a week. Then you ran it, while drained, and didnt allow it to charge, even half way. New Battery.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    New battery - don't waste any more time on the old one - it's had it's day! :worried:

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Yep.....new battery :(
    You’ve killed that one :skull:

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Not enough voltage to properly fire. The battery may not be gone. Give it time to fully charge up. Then see if it holds a charge.

6. Robby

Robby New Member

Aug 8, 2018
    Portland
    And to help me understand, b/c w a car if you jump it the alternator will charge the battery back up. But motorcycles are different. But why? I guess there isn't enough voltage to spark the cylinders properly?

7. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Triumphs seem to need a battery in peak condition to run.
    Before buying a new battery, disconnect the existing one. Charge it for a good 24 hours with an Optimate if you have one (normal battery chargers may not condition it ) then check the voltage with a multi-meter if you can. Should be 12.6 - 12.8 on a healthy battery.

Useful guide here
    https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/motorcycle-and-powersport/battery-discharging-charging-characteristics/

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Most modern batteries have pretty flimsy plates - they don't use lead any more - especially if they're not of a "premium" brand. Once deep discharged they're unlikely to recover at all. If they do, it's often only a temporary thing and they won't maintain healthy voltages - certainly not healthy enough for a hefty motorcycle starter.

As everybody else has suggested, I'd suggest it's time to bite the bullet and learn the lesson of always looking back at the bike when you leave it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    [​IMG]

This battery is not "pining for the fjords" or simply "stunned". It "is no more", "has ceased to be", "bereft of life, it rests in peace", and "this is an ex-battery"! :D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Laughed out loud at that one:D JC is one of my favourites although a lot of Monty Python was rubbish there were a few classics like that one

• Like Like x 1