De Catting The Storm. Dave Platt Bypass

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Tom8336, Jan 6, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    Hi all

Just a quick one regards de-catting.

I thought I'd see what difference it'd make if I got rid of the cat, so I went and bought a Dave Platt bypass and a K&N filter from eBay. I've already had the short TORs fitted and the re map done, and so I got out the spanners and set about getting tbe rusty old lump off the bottom of my lovely bike.

Happy to say the engine sounds lovely and it also seems to have freed it up a bit, as it definitely feels a bit smoother and pulls a bit more too. Still pops and bangs on the de-cel, but I really like that and it certainly grabs attention :)

I've not seen the other bypasses in the flesh, but I'd definitely recommend the Dave Platt bypass as it is a quality made item, its adjustable and it was really easy to fit.

• Like Like x 1
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Tom,you haven't got any more info on this have you, as I've never come across it before? Pics or links?

3. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    Hi Biglad. Happy New Year mate

I've not got any photos myself but here's one I've borrowed from someone else's post on another site. Theres also a bloke on YouTube fitting one if you want to look more in depth, and in fact I used that video to help me fit mine properly. Unfortunately I can't copy the link.

I was lucky enough to get mine second hand but more or less unused on eBay for about £100 cheaper that a new one too, which was a big bonus.

image.png

4. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Last Autumn I fitted the Dave Platt bypass and short pipes. Fitted them myself but had a little trouble getting them to seal correctly and there was a bit of blowing from the connection where the tail pipe connects to the bypass.
    Having exchanged a few emails with Dave himself, he gave me the details of the firm that manufacture the stuff for him and after speaking to the guys there on the phone, I took a ride up to Nottingham to let them have a look at it. I was concerned that I had done something wrong and misaligned the pipes.
    However, on inspecting everything, the guys were brilliant. They were happy with my work and agreed that things were not lining up quite right. They'd not had this issue before apparently and so one guy set about taking the system to bits and putting it back together again.
    Between us, we then spent the next couple of hours on it and in the end, it needed a bit of re-welding (the brackets on the pipes seemed to be slightly out), a couple of slightly longer bolts and a good bit of swearing (mainly me to be fair!) but we (or rather HE) got the system back on and working and whilst there was still a slight bit of blowing from one joint, the carbon had built up enough within in a couple of days riding to seal the leak.
    The end result is fantastic! It looks and sounds awesome now (in my humble opinion) - deep but not too loud. As Tom8336 says above you get a nice bit of popping now and again but the growl you get really does bring a smile to my face (and turns a few heads too!).
    A big thanks to Dave and his guys in Nottingham for the best after sales support I have experienced in a long time (oh, and a great product)!
    I have attached a picture but since the photo was taken, I have added the black swing arm covers and a number plate relocation to clean the back end up a bit.
    Since getting the bike a year ago, I have had no end of compliments for its looks (even from bikers that wouldn't be seen dead on a cruiser - weirdo's!), the only thing that let it down was the sound of the OEM exhaust. Especially when people find out its a 1700cc engine, they expect it to roar! Now, this is not a problem at all. Roll on Spring time!

Dave Platt Exhaust 1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    Great post DJH1 and cool looking Storm.

Glad you posted too as I was worried my one was looking a bit like an advert! :)

Do you think the de-cat adds any more power to the bike? I'd say that it seems to be more responsive but I don't know if thats just psychological. Have you fitted a new K&N too to beef up the air intake?

I've also considered going with after market pipes but the short Triumph ones I have seem to be pretty much good enough TBH. Out of interest what end cans have you gone with?

I've added a photo of my bike. Why not! :)

image.jpeg

6. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Nice! They are great looking bikes!!!
    Why the wrap on the front pipes? was that to prevent stone chips?

I would agree with you that it does FEEL more responsive but I guess I'd have to Dymo it to really tell. I've not gone for K&N as it was the sound I was after more than the increased power (as it's my first bike!) but as time has gone on I have been tempted to change the filter - do you think that alone makes much difference? I've read about issues with K&N filters (and others) not being "oiled" correctly and causing problems but I guess its an easy swap out if it starts playing up isn't it?
    The pipes are Dave Platt's too (it was actually the pipes that were the issue with the installation - the bypass itself was fine). A nice finish and with the cat removed, the weight reduction is huge (maybe hence the better response?!).

As we're showing off, I have attached a couple more pics of the Storm in full "Fat Ass" mode with the bags on (I know it should probably be in a different thread but hey.....).

Storm 1.jpg

Storm 2.jpg

7. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    #7 Tom8336, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    The wrap is just vanity. I'm not a big lover of chrome or shiny metal. Liked the look on a cafe racer with wrapped pipes I saw and thought I'd do it to the Storm.

Wouldn't worry too much about stories of K&N filters being bad for the engine. I've got them on both my bikes and I've never had a problem. As long as they're pink they're oiled properly.

People do worry about crap being able to get in to the engine because of the larger diameter gaps, but physics says that's not the case and the oil traps particles. Personally I'm inclined to agree with physics over Trevor from Southend. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Ha ha, good point!
    Did you notice much difference with K&N over the OEM filter?

9. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    Hi Trevor :)

I'd say yes regards the filter.

On my other bike I've fitted a whole new Forcewinder air intake plus the K&N filter, which obviously is a dramatic modification.

On the Storm I've only changed the filter, but I'd still say that improving air flow into the engine can only be a good thing and must make an improvement. Even if only a small one.

10. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Hmm, maybe give it a whirl before I roll out the garage in the Spring.

11. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    So just wondering if you've had the bike out and if you'd upgraded the filter?

12. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Tom, if I might make a slight observation?

As you have changed the exhausts for one's that allow the engine to 'breathe' significantly better - hence the noise - changing any aspect of the inlet side of the motor ie a K an N air filter will allow it breath better still. The fuel injection system is rather rudimentary (but effective in std. trim) and will not be able to fully compensate for this increase so your bike will be prone to running on the lean side of good.

I would be inclined to either check your plugs regularly or get it remapped to account for the increased air flow. If going for the latter, do any other engine mods at the same time - eg SA removal/O² sensor removal - so the new map can account for all changes.

Just for your info: the TORS WILL NOT take into account the increased gas flow caused by the Dave PLatt cat removal nor will it take account of improvements in airflow on the inlet side.

13. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    Good advice, thanks Dave. I was toying with the idea of going and getting it dyno'd and mapped last year as it happens. Might be worth getting that done before the weather starts getting better and I decide to bigger off to France or Spain for a few days

I took mine out yesterday to blow the cobwebs off. First proper ride of the year for me!

• Like Like x 1
  14. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Hi Tom,
    Well, I only managed to shoot out for about half an hour last weekend. That was really just to test the few mods added over the winter months since the ones mentioned above (gear indicator - new to bikes and keep going for that 7th gear!, new grips, LED headlights, customised recovered seat and K&N filter!).
    In all honesty, the run was just to set up the gear indicator and test the gel pads in the new seat (hmmm, comfy!) so didn't really give it much and so I am yet to notice any benefit from the K&N to be honest. However, the theory of more air in plus more air out = more power is pretty much proven so I think it should be worthwhile.
    I'm desperate to get out for a run but the weather hasn't been on my side (and I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to riding in the cold and rain when I don't have to!). Still, the lighter nights are coming and things are slowly warming up so fingers crossed, I'll be able to give it a good test in the coming weeks.