De-cat Street Twin

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Repooh, Jun 18, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Pulled up to a Street Twin the other day and it sounded nice and chunky (technical term) the owner told me he had the catalytic converter removed and an X-Pipe installed, he chose to this over Vance & Hines pipes and retained the stock pipes. Not stupidly loud as to make my auntie loose bladder control, but louder than US V&H
    with no baffles.

I rang round for quotes and one Triumph dealer told me that the UK MOT rules changed and now, if the tester believes the bike is too loud will fail it.

It sounds logical to me only on the basis of fact, so if my stock bike is XXDb, as defined by Triumph and the mod now makes it XX+Db then fail, however, the chap said there was no measurement to compare stock to modified, just the testers subjective opinion, I'm guessing if this is the case then it would need to be super loud.

Nah, not buying that.

Care to offer a fact based opinion, or is this indeed the case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    No such nonsense here TG.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jim jimmy jim jim jim

Dec 8, 2018
    donny
    I bought an x pipe off ebay £99 & put it on my street cup - best money ive spent. I love the bike twice as much.
    Its a great, lovely sound. Not crazy but you can get heard out there.
    It just makes it an absolute pleasure to go up the gears. I cant get enough and its given the bike loads more character and FUN

• Like Like x 5
  4. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne

My old Guzzi Le Mans has straight through proddy racer cans and all he said was theyre a bit loud !!!!

X pipe with standard cans or Remus etc highly unlikely to be failed and it makes a big difference to the bike

5. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Any sensible MOT tester wont fail a Street Twin with an XPipe on it, or baffle-out V&H. If you're anywhere near me I can give you the name of such sensible MOT testers, as I am sure other members can for their locations.

Anyway, yes get an XPipe mate. Well worth the small investment.

• Like Like x 1